Honored Contributor

I heard on the news where there's going to be some boxing event later this year. I've always wondered: Why is boxing considered a sport? Where is the sport in humans beating up each other?

Esteemed Contributor

When my Dad served in WW II, he kept a journal. He listed boxing among his favorite activities. He's not here now to talk about it. But we always watched boxing every Saturday and of course, the heavy weight fights.

There is a great deal of physical conditioning that goes along with boxing. For one, try punching into the air as hard as you can, and see how much it takes out of you. Many times that is what is happening as the opponent is dodging the blow. For every punch you actually get in, you are probably punching nothing more.

As far as getting your face mangled or your brains knocked out of you, I guess you're right - some sport! But seeing all the conflicts in the world from the beginning of time, I suppose man has some sort of need to fight.

Honored Contributor

Hi Harpa. I understand what you're saying, but as I get older, it just doesn't seem very "sporting" to me. I know my father and some neighbors used to always watch the fights when they got their first TV. Now, I couldn't bear to watch such a "sporting" event. (Thanks for responding so thoroughly!)