Honored Contributor

Re: A Question For Insulin Users Please

There is always something to be learned in the treatment of diabetes. If you aren't overweight ,and some of us aren't, there isn't much benefit from weight loss surgery

If I were  overweight ,that would be my last choice. Insulin is very expensive, and people are dying ,because they are not taking a proper dose. It is a national scandal

I am on ER metformin, and it has helped tremendously ,with stomach issues. I still haev to watch what I eat, or  it will flare. There are simply foods I won't touch, because they upset my stomach.  If I went on insulin ,which I don't want to do, I am not sure my stomach issues would go away

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

from web MD..remission isn't he same thing as a cure

With all the research on diabetes and advances in diabetes treatments, it's tempting to think someone has surely found a diabetes cure by now. But the reality is that there is no cure for diabetes -- neither type 1 diabetes nor type 2 diabetes. (Although lifestyle changes can achieve remission in type 2 diabetes in some cases.)

However, there are treatments, including simple things you can do daily, that make a big difference.

Is there a natural therapy that can cure diabetes?

No. Natural therapies such as deep abdominal breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, guided imagery, and biofeedback can help relieve stress. And emotional stress affects your blood sugar levels. So learning to relax is important in managing your diabetes.

Supplements don't cure diabetes, either. Some natural supplements may interact dangerously with your diabetes medication. Others have been shown to help improve your diabetes, but always check with your doctor before taking any supplement.

Be skeptical about claims of a diabetes cure. A genuine cure will have been tested repeatedly in clinical trials with clear success.

What lifestyle changes can help me manage my diabetes?

Even though there's no diabetes cure, diabetes can be treated and controlled, and some people may go into remission. To manage diabetes effectively, you need to do the following:

Manage your blood sugar levels. Know what to do to help keep them as near to normal as possible every day: Check your glucose levels frequently. Take your diabetes medicine regularly. And balance your food intake with medication, exercise, stress management, and good sleep habits.

Plan what you eat at each meal. Stick to your diabetes eating plan as often as possible.

One man’s risky chance to help cure a fatal disease.

Bring healthy snacks with you. You’ll be less likely to snack on empty calories.

Exercise regularly. Exercise helps you keep you fit, burns calories, and helps normalize your blood glucose levels.

Keep up with your medical appointments. That includes your doctor, diabetes educator, ophthalmologist, dentist, podiatrist, and other health care professionals.

Weight Loss Surgery

After weight loss surgery, many people with type 2 diabetes see their blood sugar levels return to near normal. Some experts call this a remission. It's not unusual for people to no longer need diabetes medicines after weight loss surgery.

The more weight a person loses after surgery, the greater improvement in blood sugar control.

After surgery, if extra weight returns, your diabetes can return too.

Reaching and keeping a healthy weight are very important for managing diabetes. You should also follow your recommended diabetes diet, exercise regularly, manage your stress, and see your doctor regularly for necessary checkups.

Are stem cells a possible cure for diabetes?

They hold promise, but they're not a treatment now.

Stem cells are cells that can develop into other types of cells. Scientists have had some success with stem cells in type 1 diabetes.

What about islet cell transplantation as a cure for diabetes?

A successful islet cell transplant can improve the quality of life for a person with diabetes. It's an evolving technology that's still being researched.

Islet cells sense blood sugar levels and make insulin. The cells come from a donor.

Once transplanted successfully, the donor cells begin to make and release insulin in response to blood sugar levels. This procedure can provide more flexibility with meal planning and help protect against serious long-term diabetes complications such as heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, and nerve and eye damage.

The person receiving the transplant must take medicine for the rest of their life to prevent their body from rejecting the donor's cells.

How about pancreas transplantation?

Getting a transplanted pancreas is a possibility for some people with type 1 diabetes. It's usually done in those who also have end-stage kidney (renal) disease.

A pancreatic transplant would help restore blood sugar control. Like anyone else who gets a transplant, the patient would need to take medicine for the rest of their life to help their body accept their new pancreas.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

There is always something to be learned in the treatment of diabetes. If you aren't overweight ,and some of us aren't, there isn't much benefit from weight loss surgery

If I were  overweight ,that would be my last choice. Insulin is very expensive, and people are dying ,because they are not taking a proper dose. It is a national scandal

I am on ER metformin, and it has helped tremendously ,with stomach issues. I still haev to watch what I eat, or  it will flare. There are simply foods I won't touch, because they upset my stomach.  If I went on insulin ,which I don't want to do, I am not sure my stomach issues would go away

@cherry..The American Diabetes Association completely supports exactly what you said about insulin being a last resort for Type 2 patients.

Snip...

Starting chronic insulin treatment early in the course of type 2 diabetes would be advantageous if insulin treatment had a unique benefit in decreasing the rate of β-cell apoptosis and had a more durable effect in maintaining glycemic control than other antihyperglycemic agents. The available data do not support such an effect.

Too lengthy to post but an excellent summation of all the difficulties in using insulin in Type 2 diabetics.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/Supplement_2/S225

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 another thing people must take into consideration, there is no guarantee if you lose weight ,and go into remission it will last...India has an epidemic of skinny( not just thin) diabetics..So weight isn't all that matters. They still carry this marker, all diabetics do

If weight were everything ,there would be no average weight ,or skinny diabetics..Age also plays a role in diabetes. There is no earthy thing anyone can do about aging. It is actually safer to be an overweight diabetic than a skinny one. The overweight diabetics outlive the skinny ones ,and they have far less complications

Diabetes is a very difficult disease to  pin  down, what is true for some ,might not be for others

Every fat person is not a diabetic, and every average weight ,or skinny person ,isn't non diabetic, so weight is only one small piece of this puzzle...

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Trinity11 another thing people must take into consideration, there is no guarantee if you lose weight ,and go into remission it will last...India has an epidemic of skinny( not just thin) diabetics..So weight isn't all that matters. They still carry this marker, all diabetics do

If weight were everything ,there would be no average weight ,or skinny diabetics..Age also plays a role in diabetes. There is no earthy thing anyone can do about aging. It is actually safer to be an overweight diabetic than a skinny one. The overweight diabetics outlive the skinny ones ,and they have far less complications

Diabetes is a very difficult disease to  pin  down, what is true for some ,might not be for others

Every fat person is not a diabetic, and every average weight ,or skinny person ,isn't non diabetic, so weight is only one small piece of this puzzle...

@cherry...there have been studies lately that claim having  a higher A1C (in the diabetic community) is safer and extends life span. They are claiming that lower A1C's don't necessarily prolong life. Patients live longer with higher blood glucose values according to the studies.. My physician is now happy with an A1C of 7-8. It prevents insulin dependent diabetic's from lows which can be quite dangerous. 

It seems there are a lot of differences in suggested treatments for both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes dependent upon your endocrinologist's training and opinion.

Honored Contributor

Have you called your pharmacy w/this question?

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 another thing, if possible you should only be treated by an endocrinologist. When my PCP diagnose me as diabetic, she sent me immediately to an endo. She said diabetes is so complicated, and it wasn't in her  realm of expertise , she wanted me to have a Dr that was specialized in this field

If you aren't able to find an endo, I recommend that you read up on this disease and what is new, and take things that you read, that might affect you, in to show your Dr. It helps them ,help you

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003,

I appreciate your comments, and am happy to know other physicians are treating their patients by the options that work best.   I’m nearly 63 years old, I want to be treated with options that work for me right now.   I don’t want my doctor to look at my options for diabetic control as “now” and “later”.   

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003  Hi!  I just checked in and please forgive me for not answering everyone.  Yours was an interesting post and I believe that you are an RN.  Thank you for adding to the conversation.  

My new doctor/NP does not want to change my RX until I have labs done.  I thought that was a good idea.  I will check back later.

Thank you again for all your thoughtful posts.

Cathy