Esteemed Contributor

There are probably a lot of you out there w/A Fib......me, too.  Do you know/feel when you are in it?  I seem to go in it, full blown, in traumatic situations.  It's always been in a hospital setting, which is a good thing.  But my Cardio Doc seems to think I probably, mildly, go in and out w/out realizing it.  Thanks for the feedback.

Trusted Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

There are probably a lot of you out there w/A Fib......me, too.  Do you know/feel when you are in it?  I seem to go in it, full blown, in traumatic situations.  It's always been in a hospital setting, which is a good thing.  But my Cardio Doc seems to think I probably, mildly, go in and out w/out realizing it.  Thanks for the feedback.

I know when my heart goes it Afib, I feel it immediately.. but, my Blood Pressure cuff also tells me if I am in Afib...it shows a little heart icon....my heart just doesn't just beat fast, it also flutters/jumps...hard to explain...but I know it exactly when it happens...

Valued Contributor

Hi yes exactly like in my case. I fill right away and can see in blood pressure thing. I have this from 2010. I take medication twice per day to keep heartbeat in order.But when it’s started meds no help to reverse. During this time I had 6 times cardio version  and one abliation.

Trusted Contributor

I am 57 and 10 years ago I had an episode of AFib.  I woke up and I could tell something was wrong.  I felt my pulse and it was erratic.  I went to the ER and they admitted me as I was in full-blown AFib.  I was in the cardiac wing for a day and a half.  I got two shots to help my heart go back into normal sinus rhythym otherwise I was going to have to have cardioversion.  I was eating my dinner that night and I felt my heart go back into normal rhythym.  Since then I have been fine (fingers crossed).  I take Toprol XL 50 mg every day to help my heart and follow-up with my cardiologist every 6 months.  It is a very anxiety producing feeling when you are in AFib.  It was scary.

Respected Contributor

I had a period of time at least 10 years ago (I'm 69 now) where I was having it off and on almost all the time.  I could definitely feel the fluttering when it was happening.  I was about ready to do the holter monitor thing, but all I did was increase my potassium supplements, and it went away completely.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

According to my m-i-l she cannot tell when it's happening and the only way they know it's happening is when she sees the cardiologist and he orders an EKG.

She swears up & down she's taking the prescribed meds but I don't believe her.  

She went to another dr. for something else,  according to the nurse her blood pressure was dangerously high and she lied straight faced that she was taking the blood pressure meds when she wasn't...according to her, she takes enough stuff and didn't feel like taking it.

Honored Contributor

I've had afib for 2 years, I usually have no symptoms so I guess I'm lucky. I'm in permanent afib so I'm never in rhythm for any length of time. Because of my age and do not have symptoms, my heart rate is controlled with medicine and I'm on a blood thinner so I don't have a stroke. My electrophysiologist does not think ablation would help me, but I may have to consider a pace maker when the meds. are no longer effective. You really have to take care of yourself if you have afib, staying healthy is a must or you will end up in the hospital. I find the best thing to do is take my meds. and do not obsess over this condition.

Trusted Contributor

I also had A-Fib, off and on for many years.  When I would mention this to my doctors, they just said "everyone's heart does that" and didn't seem a bit concerned.  It got worse last year, and in August I ended up in the ER because suddenly I had a hard time breathing and was diagnosed as in full blown A-Fib.

I ended up staying in the hospital for a week as they tried several different medications, and electric shock, but nothing worked.  They finally put in a pacemaker and did an ablation. 

I am on 2 heart meds and a blood thinner.  My current cardiologist (not the one who did the surgery) tells me the pacemaker I have now and the ablation that was done isn't working and I need to have it all done over again.  Good grief!  I am dreading another operation, but will have it later on this summer.

Honored Contributor

@DottieBlueOh, you poor thing. I would be really ticked off if I had a pace maker inserted and it didn't work. Did you have the ablation first? I know ablations are notorious for having to be done over multiple times though. I know doctors will not diagnose someone with afib just by taking their pulse and noticing it's irregular. You may want to talk to an electrophysiologist before you go down that ablation road again.

Honored Contributor

While it is important to get a fib appropriately treated it is also important WHY you have a fib. A healthy heart does not just suddenly go into a fib. This is a disturbance in the normal pathways thru your heart that cause your heart to beat.Usually caused by some heart disease. I would definitely be asking my doctor WHY my heart went into A fib.