Super Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

This is becoming more and more common, and I'm not sure whether to feel good about it or be angry at the overkill.  Most of these, even after biopsy, turn out to be nothing.  I think there are some in the medical field that are afraid to not go further with testing.  That "better safe than sorry" attitude.  They have to know that all us gals are heart stopping worried at any hint of a problem with our mammo.  If it weren't so common, it would be a lot more terrifying.  Best of luck, and I hope you are free from all this soon so you can get on with your life. 

@MomCat I've read lots of articles from reputable sources that now recommend getting mammograms every 2 years instead of annually for non-risk patients, because of the huge amount of false positives and the fact that on the aggressive type of breast cancer doesn't translate in better outcomes when patients get annual mammogram (I'm probably not saying this perfectly) .

I'm 60 and up until this year I got them every year since I turned 40. After reading this type of info over and over I talked to my Gyno at my recent appt and she agreed with me. She said her mom only goes every two years as well. 

My daughter has the 3D mammograms done, so I started researching those...thinking maybe I should request those (I have dense breast tissue), but the reports show that ultimately, the results are really no better than 2D...but that because it's a new machine, the manufacturer is pushing hard to have them used (kickbacks?). Based on my thoughts on Big Pharma, this piece of information didn't surprise me. 

In the end...we have to follow our gut, decided what's best for us, and trust our doctors. 

@CatsyCline I'm so sorry you're facing this and my heart goes out to you. Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing of any concern...but you're in my prayers, regardless.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Respected Contributor

thank you all for your many kind  thoughts Heart and encouragement Heart.

made it through.  it was lengthy and seemed complicated. there were two tech and the radiologist.  they had to position and  compress me over and over on the plate becuase they had trouble aligning me with their  3 D view .the micro calc spots are way in the back .wish i had asked for another ice pack. sore an bruised. now i wait for the biopsy result next week sometime. they are doing many biopsies and i wonder if it is due to the 3 D technology?

this verbiage taken from the booklet they gave me:

"Dietary calcium has no relationship with microcalcifications and does not cause microcalcifications found in the breast on a mammogram"

paraphrasing: almost all women have microcalcifications.  they are the residue from normal aging process, old cysts, injuries, infections or inflammations such as mastitis.  these may cause breast cells to die and  leave tiny particles behind like ashes. 

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline, I'm glad it's done and over but I'm sorry you are uncomfortable.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that the results are negative!!!

When you said they did a lot of biopsies, do you mean they took a lot of samples to be sent in?

Continuing good thoughts for you! 

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva ....i appreciate the kind thoughts!!  

they took 3 or 4 needles biopsies on me. 

the techs said they did 5 needle biopsy procedures last week.  and they are having many call backs from the 3 D mammograms. 

Respected Contributor

My mother died from breast cancer so I was strongly monitored since the age of 18.  I am now 60.  Went in for my regular mammo and they gave me a 3D.  My breast surgeon said that I no longer need another 3D bc the breast tissue is not dense, now mostly fat tissue.  I'd not worry about being called back for repeat shots - - I used to get those calls all the time and they always ended well. 

However, prior to 3D mammos I was diagnosed with BC but it was never found via any mammogram.  It was found by a clinical exam by my GYN and was down along the area where the elastic part of your bra is.  I had a very deep tiny tumor and she felt it - I never felt it and it didn't hurt or anything.   So, just a reminder - in addition to your mammos to do your own self exams and hopefully a doctor is also doing a clinical exam. 

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl wrote:

My mother died from breast cancer so I was strongly monitored since the age of 18.  I am now 60.  Went in for my regular mammo and they gave me a 3D.  My breast surgeon said that I no longer need another 3D bc the breast tissue is not dense, now mostly fat tissue.  I'd not worry about being called back for repeat shots - - I used to get those calls all the time and they always ended well. 

However, prior to 3D mammos I was diagnosed with BC but it was never found via any mammogram.  It was found by a clinical exam by my GYN and was down along the area where the elastic part of your bra is.  I had a very deep tiny tumor and she felt it - I never felt it and it didn't hurt or anything.   So, just a reminder - in addition to your mammos to do your own self exams and hopefully a doctor is also doing a clinical exam. 

Not trying to be contrary but I don't understand how you were diagnosed with breast cancer?  I understand someone feeling a lump but then you go for a follow-up mammo and/or ultrasound.  But no cancer can be diagnosed without a biopsy. 

Respected Contributor

I had 3D mammography this year and was told it produces 80 views with the same amount of time and positioning of your breasts as a standard mammo.   My insurance told me it is still considered experimental and they will not pay for it, however, the imaging company I went to only charged me $50.  The handout I was given states the following:

40% increase in cancer detection

Decrease in false positives

Decrease in subsequent imaging

Takes no additional time

Enhanced view of tissues

My test came back normal.  I too have very dense breasts and previous tests with 2D mammography also told me I had calcifications.  Not this year though oddly enough.  

Trusted Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

At the hospital I go to, 3D is what everyone gets.I had breast cancer 4 years ago; 3D is standard operating procedure for me and has been since after my radiation treatment in 2013. I have  very dense breasts  and was always having to come back for a do over.  Was getting mammos every 6 months for a couple years and have graduated to the NORMAL once a year mammo as I still have one very dense breast. Try not to be too worried. I would take being extra careful over what I went thru anytime!

@wagirl, you just wrote my story!  I had my four year checkup with the oncologist this morning.  Everything is good!  (yay me).  But I have noticed over the past couple of years that the techs let all the women coming in for mammograms that they will be doing the 3D imaging.  I prefer it and will insist that I never go back to a "regular" mammogram.

Trusted Contributor

My heart goes out to you @CatsyCline.  A little over 4 years ago I went in for a 6 month mammogram because my OB was concerned at the dense tissue she was feeling.  (I had lost a boat load of weight.)

4 1/2 hours later I was in tears leaving the UH Clinic.  2 sets of mammogram films, an ultrasound, the luck of the draw and getting straight in to see an oncologist who did the needle biopsy in the office...both sides into my dense tissue.  And during all this they found calcifications they didn't like..

Because of my dense tissue and the positioning of the calcifications they knew they had to do a core biopsy.  I was walking out with a followup appointment to discuss and schedule the core biopsy...they didn't want to schedule that until the results of the needle biopsies came back.  How did I go from having a precautionary mammogram to leaving with my own oncologist in under 5 hours!?  It was earth shattering...I know exactly what you are going through.

The needle biopsies were negative, but the core biopsy came back positive.  I'll only say that I survived it all, and I have just received my 4 year all clear! 

Best of luck to you...

Honored Contributor

kzj---double yahoo for you !!! 4 years seems like a lifetime ago, doesn't it? I am going to my onc dr every 4 months still but after this next appt in Aug, I'll be going every 6 months and only doing labs then too.