WEN

Occasional Contributor

Hi @Suebdoo and thanks for the welcome! Having really long hair, I really love the idea of the simplicity of having to pump out only three pumps at a time from the gallon. I'll be sure to come back here if I have any questions, in fact I'm going to ask you ladies a couple in a minute.

Hi @FleaMktQn! Thanks for the warm welcome and the tip to check out Chaz's site for the gallons.

Hi @nikki48! I've loved reading your posts as well as seeing all the discussion and heads up about the ODOs. I managed to grab one in SHP that had the oil, RTM, and CC. I'm on waitlist for STP and really I hope I have a chance of still getting it. The fragrance sounded fantastic. I also thought it would be a good chance to try out the SHP CC and see how it agreed with my hair type, which happens to be very fine, but a lot of it. I do have some damage from highlighting so it might be a good thing if it happens to be extra moisturizing. I do admit that I'm still nervous that using Wen is going to weigh down my hair, but the past week of using it have produced great results.

Hi @rochelleS! Thanks for the great descriptions of the SHP and SMC. I bit the bullet and decided to order the SMC in the gallon because the scent sounded irresistable to me. There's something about the smell of coconut in hair products for me that is very sentimental.

Two questions for everyone: What is the shelf life for cleansing conditioner? I already had a couple of TSVs from last fall and winter lying around and now I've grabbed a few more things. Everyone here seems to have quite the stash and I was just wondering if it will keep for a while? I saw a random comment in one of the reviews for the cleansing conditioner saying that it had clogged the screen in this person's septic tank. I'm unfortunately on a septic system and just wanted to know if any of you know anything about this or have had any problems? Obviously one needs to exercise caution with what goes down the drain all the time on a septic tank system. I hope someone can give me a little confidence about that because I have been loving using Wen the past week on a consistent basis. I actually contacted Chaz's customer service team and they recommended that I contact a septic tank expert, which was probably sound advice, but I wanted to see if anyone here could give me their thoughts.

Thanks so much everyone for being so friendly and helpful! I've been having such a good time watching each and every presentation on my DVR. Something about watching and listening to Chaz is so uplifting to me. Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

@katekensington  The shelf life of the cleansing conditioner is two years from opening. I do have quite a stash but I don't think I've ever had an open bottle for two years since I cleanse every day.

I don't have a septic tank system but I've never had any problems with Wen clogging the drain.

Enjoy your SMC gallon! Cat Happy

Occasional Contributor

@HSB1204 wrote:

@katekensington  The shelf life of the cleansing conditioner is two years from opening. I do have quite a stash but I don't think I've ever had an open bottle for two years since I cleanse every day.

I don't have a septic tank system but I've never had any problems with Wen clogging the drain.

Enjoy your SMC gallon! Cat Happy

Thanks @HSB1204 for your anwers! The fact that it's not clogging the drain is usually a good sign.

Esteemed Contributor

@katekensington Welcome! You will enjoy this board and the wonderful people here.

Wen states the product is good for 2 yrs after opening. I have product that's still good and it's well over 2 yrs opened.

I'm a little concerned hearing about your gallon purchase of SMC. Have you tried this before? It's the most moisturizing for me of all CC'S, excluding FIG, which I have not tried or needed. SMC weighed my hair down. SHP does not weigh it down. I mix SMC with other CC to lighten it up.

My BFF has hair like yours. DejaVu...Very fine but lots of it. Also had highlighting damage when she started with Wen. One 16 oz FIG got her on the right track along with later using remoist. She did trim her ends. Now she uses anything she wants, but of course has her favs and her hair is in great shape. See what others have to say about this SMC gallon....

I say buy a 16 oz of SMC from QVC or eBay (or any scent) before committing to a gallon. Did you go to Chaz's site and utilize the product recommender? Answer some questions and three formulas are suggested. Definitely check that out. Any recommendations from the representative at the salon when you spoke to them?

You'll do fine here. Lots of helpful advice will steer you in the right direction. Just have fun in the process.

Respected Contributor

Katekensington, I have used WEN for many years now, and I have a septic system.  Our drains have never been clogged by WEN, but whooee, let me give my dog a bath in the tub and break out the "draino"!  That fine undercoat is a killer! 

I've actually lived on septic systems nearly all of my 60 years, and the only things that really clog drains are cooking grease poured down the kitchen sink, Barbies and GI Joes flushed down the toilet (or clothing items, other non-water-soluble things), hair, and tree roots growing into the lines during drought years.  Tree roots are probably the most common problem, actually, i'll bet many people don't realize how invasive tree roots can be!

Anyway, I hope your consultation with a septic system technician puts your mind at rest regarding WEN, and that you enjoy your SMC gallon. 

Trusted Contributor

@katekensington, I hope all of the information shared here helps.

I have been on a septic system for 7 yrs now...no issues. I think some people that had issues basically let it go down the drain as it comes out of the bottle. When you apply, add your water and massage, it becomes frothy. I posted a pic of my hair clipped up after my second cleanse. It's like a light suds free foam, no where as thick as it is in the bottle and goes down the drain like water. 

I get so vigorous with my cleansing/massaging that I have to spray down the shower when I am done. Clean scalp and no residue. Also remember cool/cold water for your rinse. 

#IAmTeamWen