WEN

Honored Contributor

@GymBunny 

I’m a bit confused with your mention of a leave in gel.

I use a pea size amount of the cc on my hair as a leave in  - but not close to my scalp.

This is done in shower while hair is still very wet.  Comb through.

Then about the same amount of the Styling Cream, (this is really a gel), again just 3/4 of the way up hair shaft.  It protects hair from heat damage.

If using mousse, I use it only on the hair at the crown for lift.

My hair is very fine, but thick.  

Yes, certainly I know many use other brands along with WEN, I don’t, but no reason you can’t.  Go right on using your new Apple CC and add other products if you wish.  I would never cleanse my hair with anything but WEN.

Is it possible you might not be using the CC the best way for you?  Let us know if that is the case.

Best Wishes!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

@Drythe  thank you!  I was using the CC just on the bottom half of my hair. All over was too much. This last time, I used a smaller amount and think that is perfect. Maybe just my Redken volumizing gel on my scalp. I bought some DryBar volumizing mousse and am going to see if that works better than gel with the CC.

I appreciate your tips!

Regular Contributor

@posterchildHi!  And thank you for the warm welcome....by volume, I DO mean beight at the crown. I have a decent amount of hair, but it is fine.  I'm going to try the DryBar voluminzing mousse. I read great reviews. I will focus on my scalp area.  Love all the tips and appreciate it!!!

Regular Contributor

@lynne6was7thanks!  Yes, I love to workout. I only wash my hair on the days I workout during the week as I sweat so much and like to wear bball caps. I typically wash my hair 3 times a week and in the evening. I think this system will be great once I get the formula right for me. There is definitely a learning curve. It gets better each time, I've used it maybe 5 times now and my hair keeps getting better...way less frizz/static after blow driying. I do try to air dry it for awhile first. Thanks again!

Regular Contributor

@x HedgeHi!

I'm using the Crisp Fall Apple CC.  Do you all find that the gallon DOES last 6 months?

Super Contributor

@GymBunny - there will be a Wen TSV in in late September and a GREAT TSV in December.  Both of those will be good opptys to try other formulas, unless money is no object.  :-)

The September TSV is usually a core formula of your choice and some ancillary products, although Q is changing things up so much, I don’t think that’s a guarantee,  the December TSV has traditionally been bottles of CC only, but at a great price.  The good thing is that one of the offerings is usually a mix of 5 16oz bottles (one set has seasonal, one set has the rice formulas, one set has the core formulas).  Getting one of those sets is a great way to get to try a lot relatively inexpensively,  some suggest you purchase the mix of travel packs to try formulas that way, but personally I’ve found I need to try a formula quite a few times before knowing for sure whether my hair does well with it.  I’m a longtime Wenner now and can use any formula with really good results, but in the beginning I found fig gave me my best results.  Imagine my surprise, because fig was marketed for coarse hair and my is very fine.  Fig is super moisturizing, though, and my hair really needed that.  Sadly, it was my least favorite scent, although it grew on me.  But my point is that it’s a formula I never would have tried if it hadn’t come in the December TSV.  It was, quite literally the last formula I tried.  But back then there was only the 6 cores (classics) and Pomegrante has just been introduced, so trying everything was a bit easier back then.

Have fun as you try different formulas and remember that if you get one that doesn’t seem to work well for you that you can try it again a few months later to see how it works or perhaps mix it with a formula that does work well.

Esteemed Contributor

@GymBunny wrote:

@x HedgeHi!

I'm using the Crisp Fall Apple CC.  Do you all find that the gallon DOES last 6 months?

Sorry, I don't buy gallons. Never have.

I prefer the smallest WEN bottles, and only just gave in to using quarts. 

But hair length, texture, and washing frequency x number of people using from the gallon would determine how long it lasts.

N'est-ce Pas?

Esteemed Contributor

@posterchild 

Nodding in agreement throughout your post. I started with the December 5pak of 16oz bottles.

Generally, I use very little from the Classics. They're inadequate for my hair, but I may use two of them applied thru a squirt bottle only at the scalp level.

I abandoned the Classics fast, in favor of formulas with greater treatment. It took me years to go back and give Cucumber Aloe a try. So of course it's "the Classic for me".

@GymBunny   if you don't like a scent or performance of a formula, I find putting it in the closet for a season or two can make a real difference. 

Hair's needs can change between cold dry winter air and hot steamy summer air, and that formula you don't like can turn into your best friend.

Regular Contributor

Thanks so much everyone!  I think finally, after 5 tries, I have my "recipe."  I bought DryBar Southern Belle volumiing mousse and love it!!!! I have a couple of their other products that I got as trial sizes from Sephora. I read up on the reviews for the mousse and they were excellent. I just tried it tonight. Wow!  It works fabulous with the Wen. I used my Dyson dryer after my hair had air-dried a bit. The I dried it about 95% and switched to the diffuser and lifted up sections of my hair. It's soft, shiny and has great volume without feeling heavy like when I used the Redken gel. 

I am anxious to try other scents. I can't recall which one Chaz said was good for dry/damaged hair or for volume. I'm thinking lavender or tea tree.  I have hair a bit beyod shoulder length. The gallon seems like a good way to go.  I would think the smaller bottles wouldn't last me very long and end up being more expensive.  I like that I know how many pumps of using the gallong for my hair now. It seems like you have to use tons of pumps of the smaller bottles.

Anyway...wanted to share the great volumizing mousse if anyone was looking for a good combo with Wen!