WEN

Valued Contributor

Long time users who have a routine down

Now that I've truly figured out which formulas work for me, I've been trying to use up the things that I don't want to continue to purchase.  For my first cleanse I've been mixing 319, FF, BGT, MIF, and Pom.  I always follow with wvm and wvm as a leave in.  I've got more bgt onhand that I'll be using up too, then I won't repurchse it or mif, because of the fragrances.  I like the formulas, and it's not that I hate how  they smell, but I like wvm the beat and would be happy with just it.  And since Chaz released 319 and FF I don't need the other restoratives.  With my fragrance sensitivities having nonscented options is a dream come true!  I've been using bgt to shave, as a body wash and skin care, trying to use it up as fast as I can.  Once bgt, mif, and the little bit of pom I have left is gone I will uae up my remaining smc and clv.  After that I plan on using just my staples.  I'm sure if new things come out I'll try them, but I plan on being very careful , reading ingredients decks carefully.  

I never would have thought I could have just a few things onhand that work so consistently or me.  Before wen it was trial and error, mostly error.  now I have a handful of things I use head to toe that work all the time . 

My routune is this:  oil treatments before  cleansing (3 times a week) with tt on my scalp and usually wvm on my length.  Cleansing as I said above, and usually once a week I do  a deep treatment with wvm or pom remoist.  I use sc, mousse, and gs in various fragrances.  I use bgt, wvm, ff or 319 with my clarisonic, 319 rtm, pom oil, tt oil and 319 nbt head to toe including as my skin care.  it's so simplified and easy now for me!  And my face has cleared up significantly .   

So for those that use only a few formulas, what do you use, what do you do and how long did it take to get to things figured out?  I'm oing on 3 years now .   Also ideas to use up sc in various scents would be good lol.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Long time users who have a routine down

What I've found in 4 years of using Wen is that it changes all the time. What I needed my first year ( 613, seasonals and Fig) isn't the same as I needed my 3rd year ( I was all about the kids) or what I need now. For some reason after my couple week stint of trying sulfate free shampoo and conditioner a couple months ago I can use any Wen I want, even the first Gen seasonals that my hair didn't like the last 2 years I can use without issue. I have no idea why. So now I'm just doing whatever. 

As far as stuff I need to use up. I need to use up my Wen oils. I have a full bottle of POM oil and I had to toss some of my other ones they'd lost their smell and were probably rancid at that point. I also need to toss some RTM, because I have some that are 4 years old that don't smell the same anymore. 

Since I started blow drying regularly I'm using SC all the time, when I often didn't as I air dried. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

@jaxs mom in my 3 yrs I've changed things too, except for the  last year.  The first year was bgt and kids and smc.  The second year was a mish mash of everything, and the last year mostly 319, ff and wvm, with occasional variances.  One of those variances for me was a lack of money induced stint into non wen  which my scalp rebelled from.  Sometimes a shampoo resets things for me too.  I figure one shampoo in about 6 months isn't going to hurt and I always deep treat after.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am also about three years into this and there's no turning back.  I do have to be honest and say that I wash with a sulfate free shampoo once a month.  I just like the sudsing experience once in a while I guess.  But then I do a remoist immediately after.  My hair has shown no problems for doing this.

Although I love to experiment and always will, what seems to work for me every time is a core or MIF for my first cleanse with 1 pump of 613 added to it.  My second cleanse is always a seasonal and I change it up all the time depending on my mood.  If it's not a very moisturizing formula, one pump of 613 gets added to that too.

I use either CC as a leave in or styling cream but not both.  I find that works best for my hair.  Last step is the mouuse which is only five pumps and I do it after I'm out of the shower and have combed out my hair.  I let it air dry for about five minutes before putting the mousse in.  Again, this is not what Chaz recommends but what works best for me.  Once my hair is dry, I spritz it with replenishing mist, brush through once, let it dry and brush through again.  Amazing shine and softness, and gets rid of any stray ends.  Not to mention the lovely scents I'm left with.  I would never skip this final step.

I was previously only using the oils about once a week as a scalp treatment but have increased that to two to three times a week and my scalp and hair overall are just better.  

I have yet to try volumizing treatment spray, glossing serum, or texturizing spray.  All on my bucket list.

Valued Contributor

@cac140 thank you!  I think it's awesome how different ways of using it works for different people.  I haven't tried vts or the texturizing spray yet eitherl  I have no need for vts but want to try the texturizing spray.  I have some  curl to my hair but usually ound brush it straight .   

Respected Contributor

I have been using Wen for a little over 4 years now. I find that I still like to experiment some, but I still come back to the routine that works for me. I always use 6-8 pumps on my scalp and enough pumps to cover my ends, usually 2-4 pumps depending on the length of my hair. This is per cleanse from the 16 oz. size I am referring to. I always do two cleanses. I always add a good splash of water during both cleanses and use the comb to distribute the Wen through my hair. I use a dime size amount as my leave in, and a dime size amount of styling creme. If I am drying natural for a curly look, I would also use 4-6 pumps of mousse. If I blow dry my hair with a round brush I may or may not use the mouse depending on how much volume I want. I like to finish with 3 drops of oil after my hair is dry for added shine and scent. I am constantly changing the formulas I use because I like variety, but lately I have found that using the seasonals for both cleanses has been working great. 

Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Trusted Contributor

I've been using Wen at least 9 years .  When I get my highlights, color and cut, I let salon use shampoo(about once every eight weeks).   

My first year I used only fig.  My preWen  hair was tangled, split ends, rough and just damaged from coloring.  When fig started weighing my hair down,I knew it was better and switched to tea tree.  Used that exclusively for few years because other cores didn't work as well.  I used Pom too for a while, then tried seasonal.  

Now, I use cucumber aloe at least once every week  as first cleanse as a clarifying shampoo.   I love the seasonals that work best on me.   SHP,  SOB and SHL in rotation.  Usually 1 pump of styling cream and dime size leave in CC.  Sometimes mousse, sometimes texturizing spray, sometimes few drops oil.  Always use RTS on second and occasionally third day hair.

Trusted Contributor

I have been using WEN for 3 1/2 years and I still learn things all the time 😊.  I have found that I need to use a core for one of my cleanses.  I just can't handle much of the soy proteins; using a seasonal for both cleanses dries my hair out.  Cores leave my hair moisturized and more smooth, but seasonals and rice-based CCs leave my hair more voluminous.

What at has really shocked me is that this week I found that I can use FIG as my first cleanse without it weighing my hair down!  I decided to  give this a try with BGT as my second cleanse and it works great!  I was trying to use BGT up without ruining my hair as it is super-drying.  Then I got brave as used it as my first cleanse every day this week, and same great results--moisture without weighting my hair down.  Previously I only used FIG as leave-in or as a second cleanse to really treat my hair on days I knew I would be home all day, since it really weighed my hair down. 

Sorry I don't have any suggestions to get your SC used up.  I have the same problem and have been giving them to my son to use as hair gel.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

@Thia-Winter wrote:

@cac140 thank you!  I think it's awesome how different ways of using it works for different people.  I haven't tried vts or the texturizing spray yet eitherl  I have no need for vts but want to try the texturizing spray.  I have some  curl to my hair but usually ound brush it straight .   

@Thia-WinterI forgot to mention two things earlier.  First, I really love your hair!  And second, I experimented the other day with styling cream on a day I wasn't going anywhere and was going to wash the next morning.  I took a very small amount, barely pea-sized, and rubbed it between my hands and then applied it to dry hair in the same way I would a texturizing balm.  And I have to say it really worked well!  So surprised.  But keep in mind I have thick and coarse hair. All I've heard is how this must be applied to wet hair.  Well, call me a rebel but this was a fun little experiment for me.  I figured if I didn't like it I would at the very least be protecting my hair from the elements and also giving it a bit of a treatment.  Maybe you could use up some of your SC this way.  

Valued Contributor

@cac140 thank you for the compliment! That is a great idea to do that