WEN

Respected Contributor

Keep doin' what you're doin' !

I got a haircut earlier this week, as the length of my hair was weighing down my permed curls a little.  I went to the same salon that I got my perm at earlier this year.  I remoisted overnight, then rinsed it out right before I left the house, went to UPS and shipped the one present I sent myself this year (the other one was shipped to the recipient direct from the seller), then went to the salon.  Turns out I didn't need to go in with damp hair, my stylist likes to cut textured hair dry.  However, she was actually shocked at how much curl I had.  She had to go to the computer to check the date she put that perm in, it was early May!   More than seven months and my curls are as strong and tight as they were when she did it!  She had to show the other stylists who were working how much curl I still had, LOL.   She texture-cut my hair even more dramatically than she did the first time, so my curls are fabulous again, and even though I have about 3 inches of new growth, because I have lift at the roots from the WEN scalp tonic, my stylist says it looks like I have naturally curly hair.  She told me that whatever I was doing at home, keep doing it, because she had never seen a perm last so long and permed hair so healthy as mine.  The Olaplex she used during the perm acounts for the curls' longevity, but the WEN accounts for the healthy hair, for sure and certain!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Keep doin' what you're doin' !

Lucky you......my perms start to break down after 6 - 8 weeks but my hair grows fast.  So every week less and less body - and I'm at that point already.

You must have some natural curl and body to start with .  Again, lucky you

Honored Contributor

@CamilleP 

Perms...I began reliving the addiction this year.  I had my first one in February after over 30 years of "just saying no"...LOL!  Prior to giving in & giving me one, my hairdresser said I do NOT need one, but I told her I wanted more uniformity in my curls, so she gave in.  I had my second one in September & figure I'll do it every 6 months.

I do need to remoist more often though & I try to get into the habit of always Remoisting prior to my color appt. & certainly before my perm appt.

With or without a perm, my curls always look better going in than coming out because they are WEN curls going in, but "pooed" curls coming out (not to mention all the towel rubbing she does; at home my hair never sees the likes fo a towel...only a t-shirt).  I always do an oil treatment when I get home from my hair appt.

I love my hairdresser to pieces.  She is quite talented, but when it comes to product use, my hair has to be rescued by WEN after my appt.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

That's wonderful!  Your perm lasting so long is a testament to how great you care for your hair and what a good routine you have!  We need the experts, of course, for their great cuts and color and perms, etc!  However, we know our own hair and how it behaves on a day to day basis and we have our own routines and products!  I have found --- and this is not to say by any means that this occurs at all salons by any means --- that the people I get seem to be somewhat rough with their shampooing, combing, drying, etc.!  My hair is not what it was and I use a more gentle approach.  I have literally teared up with the rough combing out of my wet hair and have even had to say --- could you please take it a little easier??  I actually was thinking --- would you like someone ripping through your hair like that?  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

That's wonderful!  Your perm lasting so long is a testament to how great you care for your hair and what a good routine you have!  We need the experts, of course, for their great cuts and color and perms, etc!  However, we know our own hair and how it behaves on a day to day basis and we have our own routines and products!  I have found --- and this is not to say by any means that this occurs at all salons by any means --- that the people I get seem to be somewhat rough with their shampooing, combing, drying, etc.!  My hair is not what it was and I use a more gentle approach.  I have literally teared up with the rough combing out of my wet hair and have even had to say --- could you please take it a little easier??  I actually was thinking --- would you like someone ripping through your hair like that?  

@AngelPuppy1 

I just  had to comment regarding how rough people are, I am one that likes to stick to one stylist so she gets to know my hair however, the one I loved had a baby a few years ago and now another so she hasn't returned to work, I have been to 4 others and so far I haven't loved any of them nor my cuts. Tthey just don't seem to know how to be gentle with "finer" hair, it tangles easy and I have to put  styling cream and a little serum mixed in it when I comb it after the shower, they just start yanking on it and I can feel all the hair coming out, I would rather go to the dentist than get my hair cut these days!  Then, they don't seem to put much product in it and just rough blow dry it which makes my hair stringy and somewhat fuzzy, when I do it at home with my comb and good blow dryer my hair is soft, manageable and shiny.  Anyways, just wanted you to know you are not alone, I hate that I can't find someone that knows how to be gentle!

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl and @AngelPuppy1 

Y'all both bring up a great point.  You would think stylists would be more gentle with hair.  Even mine, as much as I love her, gets a bit rough when she washes my hair...and the towel drying...ugghhhh...I wish she knew what rubbing my head with a towel does to my curls (any girl's curls, not just mine).  I guess stylists work with so many different hair types that they treat them all the same.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@fthunt   No, my hair is militantly straight and very perm-resistant, my perms used to not last much past 3 months before straightening back out again.   The difference this time is that my stylist used Olaplex during the perm process to re-form the sulfide bonds in my hair in the new, curly, form, so the curls are permanent, as if my hair grew out of my head curly, not straight.  Chaz's scalp tonic is giving my new hair lots more lift

at the roots, so even though the new hair is straight, the "transition" between permed and new isn't very noticeable.  Luck isn't involved, just a knowledagle stylis, for whom I am very grateful!

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I think the duration of my perm is entirely due to the Olaplex my stilist used.  As I remember it, after she rinsed out the perming solution out of my hair, while it was still on the perm "noodles", she added Olaplex to the  neutralizing solution, and let that sit on my hair for more time, then rinsed again and removed the "noodles" to fully rinse my hair and scalp.  I think the Olaplex really made a huge difference!

Regarding how rough your stylist is, if she will not "lighten up" at your request, please speak to the owner of the salon privately, and let them know how displeased you are, you are paying good money for salon services, and deserve to be treated with respect.

Honored Contributor

@CamilleP 

You are probably right about that!  This has happened to me at different places.  For one thing, I don't think a lot of places like dealing with people who have really long hair.  I try not to make a big deal out of it.  If it gets really bad, I will say --- can you please go easier --- that is really hurting! 

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

I just  had to comment regarding how rough people are, I am one that likes to stick to one stylist so she gets to know my hair however, the one I loved had a baby a few years ago and now another so she hasn't returned to work, I have been to 4 others and so far I haven't loved any of them nor my cuts. Tthey just don't seem to know how to be gentle with "finer" hair, it tangles easy and I have to put  styling cream and a little serum mixed in it when I comb it after the shower, they just start yanking on it and I can feel all the hair coming out, I would rather go to the dentist than get my hair cut these days!  Then, they don't seem to put much product in it and just rough blow dry it which makes my hair stringy and somewhat fuzzy, when I do it at home with my comb and good blow dryer my hair is soft, manageable and shiny.  Anyways, just wanted you to know you are not alone, I hate that I can't find someone that knows how to be gentle!

@SandGirl 

Yeah, I always think -- well, they are professionals and should know what is best for the hair, but obviously not always!  Lately, when I've been going for a cut or trim, I've been washing my hair right before I go, and I tell them --- no wash!  That seems to help somewhat!  At least I don't have to go through a lot of the torture - LOL!  However, they don't seem to even want to take the time to really dry my hair nicely.  I go home afterwards, wet it down and put my products on and do it myself!