Respected Contributor

Using the Hotel safe: Don't forget

From Travel and Leisure: A flight attendance suggests putting one shoe in the hotel safe along with your valuables. When departing the hotel you will be less likely to forget to retreive the contents if you also need your matching shoe.

*my problem would be that I travel with multiple shoes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Using the Hotel safe: Don't forget

It's easier to put a calendar note on my phone to remind me.  Not that I use the hotel safe.  I don't travel with valuables.

Honored Contributor

Having worked for a major hotel chain, I can tell you a whole bunch of "guest stories"......

Like the guest who has checked out....and then calls and says they left their money under the mattress.....and could we please send them the "X" amount of dollars.      YES....this really happens!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi , oh my...I am sure you have many stories.  I travelled a lot in my career so I can imagine!  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Desertdi , oh my...I am sure you have many stories.  I travelled a lot in my career so I can imagine!  LM

@Lilysmom1   Yup, and a lot of them involve complaints about room service meals.    Guest calls the office, and says their potato isn't cooked thru (hoping for a second meal for their "date" who is hiding in the closet.)

Ha Ha......Room Service only brings a fresh potato....and swaps it out!

(We have other ways of dealing with folks who complain about "being poisoned"........Everything in the kitchen is computerized.....right down to what pot the food came from....and tracking it to which waiter served it.)      

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

If you are traveling with something REALLY valuable (a jewelry salesman with a million $ worth of diamonds)......

When you check in, ASK THE HOTEL MANAGER to keep your goods in the hotel safe, not a room lock box.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I haven't traveled that much but I would never trust those things.  I used to travel with changes of jewelry and all kinds of extra stuff.  Then, I decided --- wear the jewelry that will go with everything and do not take it off.  One less thing to worry about!  And don't wear any pieces that look expensive or flashy!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi mentioned room service. It has disappeared from the hotels we visit. Used to be so common before the pandemic. Likewise, rooms get cleaned every three days for those who take extended vacations. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

@Desertdi mentioned room service. It has disappeared from the hotels we visit. Used to be so common before the pandemic. Likewise, rooms get cleaned every three days for those who take extended vacations. 

@AuntG     Luckily, I had retired before the Pandemic.    However, I was working during 911....one of about a dozen people on property in a 500-suite full-service resort on 65 acres of property (not including the golf course).     Let me tell you.....it was really spooky being almost alone in that huge place!!!! 

And.....that's how I got "hooked on the Q".....had to do something with all my spare time (while I was being paid.)    !!!!       di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I think not many people use room service for meals now.  Peoplr use Ubereats and all the other food apps to get meals delivered from restaurants.  It might have started with Covid but it's a staple now.  I'm always amused by the line of people in the lobby waiting for the delivery guys.