Honored Contributor

@gacat123 Regarding the laundry, in the past I have always had enough clothes and underwear to last me for the entire trip without having them cleaned to wear again. Last summer was the first time I had taken a trip that was longer than three weeks; thus, the need to figure something out for getting them cleaned before the end of the trip. Certainly didn't want to pack 42 days' worth of clean clothes!!!! 

I had planned to wash on the few days I had between the two three-week trips, going to a laundromat; however, it cost so little to have the hotel do it for me in Albania, that I just let them do it. Most of the countries I have been going to in past years, if you needed something washed because you spilled food on it, it has been around a dollar an item. I would rather pay them $1 than go looking for a laundromat, sit and wait around for the washer and dryer to finish, etc. So that's how I have done it. This time I will be having my wash day in Sweden, and I know that will be expensive there. So, I will have to see what I can come up with. India was the cheapest, along with Viet Nam. Think they charged by the pound, and it was around $2-3 at the most for all that I wanted/needed to have cleaned.

I always carry two 13-gallon plastic bags. One is to lay on top of the clothes before cinching them in with the straps. Helps keep everything in place. The other is for dirty underwear. I put the other dirty clothes in a separate place in the suitcase.

I think I said (probably six months ago?) that there was a time (in China?) where I bought some disposable panties. They were to be good for one use and then toss out. Well, although they were not made of great quality, they did last thru more than one use, so I didn't toss them. When I got home I thought I might as well wash them in cold water. They lasted thru 3-4 washings before they needed to be tossed. I think they are still available at Travel Smith's website or at similar sites. It was meant to give me more space in the suitcase for other stuff as I traveled along the way. They weren't expensive back then, but I definitely didn't do it again.

You could put a mousetrap in the suitcase for those TSA guys! LOL!

Valued Contributor

@World Traveler 

A few years ago DH checked his carry-on bag at Delta's request, they had limited overhead bin room. OK...he kept his computer bag with expensive items and medicines.   

He arrived home with ONE Expensive Running Shoe! in the checked carry-on bag.  ONE SHOE??  Emails to Delta resulted in nothing.   He steamed over that incident for a few days let me tell you!   

The ATL Airport baggage handlers are notorious for actually stealing items out of checked luggage.  I would never put anything of much value in a checked suitcase anyway.  FYI !    

Thanks for the detailed laundry information!  I will try your two trash bags idea  next trip. 

My QVC Reverse/Umbrellas (2 in Black/Black) did not arrive today, perhaps Tuesday. ?? 

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

QVC Social Team

Re: Travel Chat

[ Edited ]

Hello Travel chatters! I'm here to tell you there is a new forum created for anything related to Travel. Please use that forum now as this one will be locked for commenting so the new one can get going.

Hoping to hear all about your travels!

@World Traveler