Honored Contributor

Re: Travel Chat - January 2018

@Alter Ego I hope you try it. Maybe it's not like going on a safari, but it would still be an adventure. I may just do that sometime. Have been tempted before.

Maybe start out with one in the U.S. and then do an overseas one if the first one is successful.

Hmmmmm.

Valued Contributor

@World Traveler  and All,

CUTE COOLER ALERT! 

Today 1/21  on David's Kitchen QVC featured a very cute cooler!  (and it folds to store) 

CleverMade 30 Liter Cooler  # K 4 5 6 9 6     $29.98.  Check out the video  FYI

I ordered one  in  RED!   I can use  this for grocery toting, carry home Chinese food  to keep food styros  contained  for the  ride home.  NOT fun to have food container bags sliding. 

We can use for trailer camping and sometimes  we cater for my 86yo  Dad <G> 

** CATHY'S CATERING CAN DO **   He just loves it when I show up with good food. 

I still use my LUG Insulated  Lunch  Tote  (Black/Mint Trim)  quite often,  LOVE IT!  

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Valued Contributor

@World Traveler and All, 

I really like  * The Week *  magazine.   A friend suggested I give it a try.  ??

I signed up for a one year hard copy/paper  subscription.  The food and travel is great,  the movie and TV reviews are very helpful so I can set up my DVR recording schedule.  

The Misty Mountain Trek at top of page 28 looks quite overwhelming and scary.    

Keep Calm and Do Check In, 

CAT

Honored Contributor

@gacat123 Yes, it is a good magazine. I have been getting The Week for several years now. It's not cheap.

What I like the most is that it gives you the news from different viewpoints. You don't get the idea that it is a Republican, Democrat, Independent, or whatever else there is, publication. It just tells you what happened the week before, just the facts, and lets you decide which viewpoint you want to agree with. I get to hear all sides of the news.

And you are right, the food and travel is great, along with the movie and TV reviews.

But I think I enjoy the two-page spread about the various homes up for sell the best, all based upon a weekly theme. This week it is Newly Constructed Desert Homes. Other weeks it has been homes that are on islands, or homes that are penthouses, or homes that have stables, or homes that are rated as historical, etc. Really interesting and fun to dream of owning one of them.

And.....the best thing....all articles are so very short, consisting of only a few paragraphs and that's it! Kind of like the Reader's Digest of news!

Love the covers too. Whoever their artist is, they are really good at it!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ugh!

I'm so angry and frustrated.  

In the past I hadn't been very serious about airplane miles; I hadn't traveled extensively and it seemed like they would never accumulate.  But, as some of my recent flights have been on the same affiliated program, I've been trying to pay more attention to it.  And, I want to kick myself because I knew better!!!

My Australia flights did not automatically get added to my Sky MIles account - which I didn't expect it woudl as I didn't think to add my account number.  But, they were able to add them as I had some of my boarding passes.

So, my last flight to Johannasburg was scheduled by my travel agent.  I also went online and confirmed that my skymile card was in my account.  So, I didn't even think of saving my boarding passes.  As you can imagine, the points didn't show up.

I contacted my travel agent and she gave me a ticket number but said she couldn't really do anything else.  Called Delta and, after a few different tries, they couldn't find the appropriate information.  Tried the travel agent again, but was basically tossed aside.  Thought that KLM may be able to give me the correct ticket numbers that Delta needs.  After waiting 30 minutes for KLM to pick up, I saw that I could email or use WhatsApp and they would get back to me. And they did!!  I have EVERYTHING they could possibly need - my name, the ticket number shown online, the ticket number my travel agent gave me, the flight numbers and dates I flew and the booking code.  And KLM - the airline I took - coudldn't find me.  I'm still looking for other ways around this, but it is RIDICULOUS that they can't find me.

Sorry for the rant.  Use this is a reminder to always keep your boarding passes - or at least take a photo of them.  May come in hand later.  grumble!!!

Valued Contributor

@World Traveler  and ALL, 

I just found out that today  1/27  is  * National Plan Your Vacation Day*   ??  

Wonders never cease!   

DH and I are  making plans for a few days in New Orleans.   Suggestions? 

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Respected Contributor

We just returned from one of our more luxurious vacations.  We usually spend a week in late January in the Caribbean.  Due to the devastation, a Mexican destination was recommended. I've been to numerous Mexican resort areas but was not familiar with Punta de Mita. You fly to Puerto Vallarta and are driven (about 15 miles) to Punta de Mita.  We stayed at a Four Seasons, so the hotel and services were top notch.

It was an extremely relaxing week.