Respected Contributor

Thinking of Pittsburgh for a girlfriend weekend trip.  Has anyone been?  Been seeing lots of positive articles in magazines lately.  Hotel and neighborhood recommendations please!

Honored Contributor

Waterfront

Trendy area, nice shopping, restaurants .  Also visit Station Square

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

When we visit (3-4 times per year) our journeys center around the west side (think airport) so this is where we have the most up-to-date information re: prices and events.

My first thought is that you might enjoy the strip district, which is where the famous Primante Brothers restaurant is. The food in this district is really good. DeLucas breakfast is not to be missed.

It is located in the downtown area. So if you were to stay in the downtown, you might want to visit the museums, etc.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

The Duquesne Incline - 140 years old - is very popular, if you're so inclined.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl  Pittsburgh has reinvented itself in the last 25 years and is now a nice place to visit. The Campus is gorgeous. Downtown is full of interesting things to do and great places to dine, performances and concerts, shopping and lovely hotels to stay. The riverfront is full of activity and a lot of night life with ethnic restaurants.

The city is not too large, so getting around in the rental car or by taxi or uber is easy. Pittsburgh is built on a mountainous area and roads/streets are curving and winding. This time of year it is beautiful. Have fun! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl  My son lives just outside of the city. It is such a great destination! "The Strip" has great restaurants. Lidia Bastianich has a restaurant in Pittsburgh. Lunch would be less expensive than dinner. We did dinner, and it was pricey, and the quality was uneven, but it was one of the things on my wish list. The usual cultural venues are great! If you are an Andy Warhol fan, his museum is there. The Pittsburgh Orchestra is world renowned. I agree with another poster that the incline is a must. The view from the top is spectacular! And, there are several restaurants at the top. There are several wineries in the area as well.

Valued Contributor

@bargainsgirl Totally worth a weekend trip. We lived in Pittsburgh for 6 months on the North Shore riverfront  in corporate apartments. I was walking distance to the Warhol Museum and Heinz field. Lots to do.  My sister would visit and stay at the Westin Convention Center, downtown with river views. We walked during the day and took car, taxis at night. Lots of hotel options in the Cultural district.  All great suggestions posted. Enjoy if you go!

Honored Contributor

Anddont forget Primanti Bros, a sandwich like no other!!!

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@bargainsgirl  My son lives just outside of the city. It is such a great destination! "The Strip" has great restaurants. Lidia Bastianich has a restaurant in Pittsburgh. Lunch would be less expensive than dinner. We did dinner, and it was pricey, and the quality was uneven, but it was one of the things on my wish list. The usual cultural venues are great! If you are an Andy Warhol fan, his museum is there. The Pittsburgh Orchestra is world renowned. I agree with another poster that the incline is a must. The view from the top is spectacular! And, there are several restaurants at the top. There are several wineries in the area as well.

Great suggestions from everyone.  I lived in the Pittsburgh area for almost 40 years and just reading everyone’s replies made me so homesick.   😢.  I loved everything about the city..and have so many great memories.   But...life brings change and  I am now in eastern Pa.   Thankfully my brother still lives there and I get my “fix” a couple  times a year when I go to visit.  I can’t wait until my grandkids are old enough to go to Carnegie Museum....The Science Center...ride the incline...eat at all the great restaurants...I could go on and on. Just so much to see and do.  Still love the Steelers!!

Trusted Contributor
Lidia's in the strip is permanently closing sometime in September. If you are not familiar with Pittsburgh make sure you have a GPS device to rely on getting you to your destination. Plan on getting lost anyway.