Respected Contributor

Northern Lights Balloon Ride

I just received an email about a new way to see the Northern Lights.  A UK company called Off the Map Travel is offering hot air balloon rides to see the northern lights in Lapland. 

Here's an excerpt:

After their airborne adventure, guests spend the night at Gejke and Broman’s Aurora Safari Camp, a glamping experience at the edge of the Råne River in Gunnarsbyn, Sweden. There, they can relax in a floating sauna that is frozen into the bank of the river, and fall asleep in cozy lavvus, Sámi tents reminiscent of tepees.

The Aurora in the Sky itinerary also includes a stay—with snowmobile excursions included—at Aurora Safari Camp’s sister property, The Outpost, which is just below the Arctic Circle line. 

I think this sounds so cool.  I don't have pricing information, but what an experience.

Honored Contributor

Re: Northern Lights Balloon Ride

@Travone.  Are they proposing to take passengers up in hot air balloons in the dark?  No way would I do thst as it's extremely unsafe.  I doubt if it's even legal in the US. 

Here in Albuquerque, we have a plethora of balloon activity but the only thing done in the dark is the dawn patrol during the Fiesta.  About 5 of the most experienced pilots go up right before sunrise to test flight conditions then they land in the morning light.  Nothing else is ever done in the dark in a balloon.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   This isn't done in the US, it is in Lapland, and yes, it would be in the dark.

When I took a hot air balloon ride in Kenya we went up before dawn in order to be able to see the animals when they were most active.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   Another thought, perhaps the balloon is tethered.  The article didn't go into too much detail and I haven't researched it yet.  If I found out mor information I will let you know.

Honored Contributor

@Travone.  I know it's not in the US.  We don't often have a view of the Northern Lights unless you're in Alaska.

A tethered balloon would be fine but landing in the dark would be very dangerous.  I wouldn't do it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The view might be great, but it doesn't seem like a night-time balloon ride is a very good idea.

Respected Contributor

Sounds interesting...and cold. Is there a better time of year to view the aurora?  Does Lapland have that six months of darkness or "white nights"?  and if you are in a gondola hanging in a hot air balloon wouldn't the balloon be blocking your view as you look up? Not sure how high up you'd need to be to get a further "lateral" view.  It would deffinately be an experiance! Something to look into!

Honored Contributor

Sounds absolutely amazing.  I've always wanted to go in a hot air balloon and always wanted to see the northern lights.  I be the cost would be high.