Super Contributor

Re: No more "cheap" airlines for me!!!! (Thank you for letting me vent!)

we fly direct to Vegas with allegiant. It's the same way. Even seats with normal legroom they charge for. We don't have SW. I don't mind since it's still cheap. We also just got frontier nonstop but they were more.  I try to only have one bag, but they limit it to only 40 lbs. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I booked on-line, those costs were all listed right there so there was no surprise.

My husband and I are flying Frontier to Tampa next month.  The flight  was $59.00 per person.  Then we had to pay $25.00 for each checked bag.  They also show an inside view of the airline and some of the seats are an additional charge.  We were lucky that we picked our seats the day I booked and we were able to get the seats that had no additional charge.  If you wait and don't pick your seats, you are going to be stuck paying the price for whatever seats are left and the cheapest seats go first.  I believe they also charge if you are carrying your luggage on.  We are not so we didn't have to worry about that.  We are also only taking 1 suitcase so we only had to pay $25.00.

So yes they charge for everything but we knew that at the time of our booking.  There was no suprise.  And even adding in the luggage cost, it was still the cheapest flight we could get when we needed to go.

Spirit Airline is even worse with the additional fees.    

Contributor

I am also a Southwest girl, when I fly. I flew Frontier a little over a year ago as it was convenient for friend to pick me up. Price wasn't bad, even with the baggage fees, but the experience was awful! I will never fly them again. I paid extra for my seat (aisle) and after I boarded (2nd row), a couple with an infant was in the front row - apparently infants not allowed in first row. They wanted me to move. I said not as I did not want to put my purse in overhead. Then they wanted to put me the middle seat in the 3rd row. Mind you, this is after a 2 hr delay, that they did not notify the passengers about until 30 min after the flight was supposed to tke off. There was no employee at the gate to answer any questions. I did not get a text message. The flight home was uneventful until we landed and waited over an hour for our luggage - because another flight had landed and they were waiting to bring it all at once! That is what the airline rep told me - I couldn't believe it!

Southwest usually ends up a cheaper flight in the long run because you can check 2 begs and take a carry on for the ticket price, no added fees! I have been lucky in not encountering any problems with Southwest. Usually they arrive early to mydestination.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

IMO - flying has become way too inconvenient - now esp with so many bringing smelly dogs with them on board. I've just decided it isn't worth it. I only fly in an emergency. Usually when I fly I catch an upper respiratory ailment. I'm better off driving whenever possible.

Oh brother.

Honored Contributor

I have only had the option to fly Southwest once (for business) and I can see why people enjoy it.  I've never boarded or deplaned faster.

Unfortunately, it doesn't fly to the places I need to go.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

lol I'd rather sit next to a smelly dog than screaming (sometimes smelly) baby.  Lol lol. 

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

There was an article somewhere that was describing all of the "a la carte" items for flights these days. I just thought "huh" and didn't pay proper attention.

I guess I will pay more attention next time.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

As with most things in life, when a service if offered at a substantially lesser price, there's usually a catch.  Major airlines have similar (and often times matching) prices. When No Name comes along with a bargain rate, BEWARE.

It is true occasionally airlines will offer a special rate, (anniversary price, one hour sale, new route sale, etc) still, read the fine print.

If you know you are traveling with a child or children, book your seat assignments ASAP.

Honored Contributor

@Adamlambert wrote:

lol I'd rather sit next to a smelly dog than screaming (sometimes smelly) baby.  Lol lol. 

I've never seen a dog, smelly or not, on a plane.  I live with smelly dogs (3) so it wouldn't bother me. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 Now a days it is not at all uncommon for people to fly with pets - in a carrier that fits under the seat in front of them. I had to fly twice last summer (on Allegent)and both flights had numerous dogs. The rule is supposed to be that the dog has to fit into a certain size carrier and be able to move around in it but I saw a woman stuff a poor cocker spaniel into a carrier and he was literally smashed into it.It barely zipped.Imagine that poor animals discomfort for 4 hours like that.