Honored Contributor

Re: No more "cheap" airlines for me!!!! (Thank you for letting me vent!)

@151949  I think Southwest only allows two per flight but either I wasn't paying attention and missed them or there were none on my flights.  I always get on first (handicapped) and watch everyone else board. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 I don't think Allegient even cares how many dogs there are. Several on both my flights.One threw up - People were really complaining about the smell but it was far from us so I did not small it.The stewardess kept spraying Lysol spray - I suppose that was really all she could do.

Honored Contributor

Pets are now allowed to fly as comfort pets.

We had a thread on this subject here recently.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Always fly Southwest.  Great prices if you shop and no fees to change flights.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

Yes, I knew the charges YET it didn't even occur to me how fast they add up! 

Convenience was what I wanted traveling with a 5 yr old as I said in my original post we were booked on SW flight but didn't leave Tampa until 9:20 pm arriving at 11:40.

I travel a lot on Frontier (sometimes for as little as $29/one way) if I see cheap fares I'm jumping on them for long weekend or visit. I never buy a seat, pay for luggage & I carry a VB grand traveler tote for the few things I need to bring which fits under the seat (n/c). I have clothes etc at my kids house.

Honored Contributor

update:

Our flight was delayed 2 hours😡 But the icing on the cake was when we checked in the rep gave us NEW boarding passes with 3 seats together.  I said "I bought our seats already to sit together" -- she said "oh then I'll just cancel these!! 

Therefore, the 24 hour check-in seating chart they show is not a true reflection of what seats are taken -- just a ploy to get you to buy seat.  Case in point - I bought the only 3 seats shown which were together ... upon boarding there were plenty of seats untaken, in fact, I moved to one so the kids could spread out!

the flight was perfect and even though I was "annoyed" I will think twice when I book a family trip again (looking at better times offered by SW).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never flown on one of the LCC's, and if I did in the future, the ONLY one I would ever consider is Southwest. For one thing, in the case of IROPS, you're stuck until they have another available seat to your destination. There's no re-booking on another airline. A friend of mine lost 5 days of a 11 day trip to Florida recently when Allegiant canceled her flight. Secondly, Southwest aside, I have real concerns about their safety and maintenance practices. The Tampa Bay Times had a huge, multipart investigative story last fall about Allegiant and their problems. Finally, the initial fare may be cheaper, but by the time you pay for seat selection, use of the overhead bin, checked bags, etc, it's not really any less expensive than flying a mainline carrier.

My aunt is coming up to Michigan today from Florida. My cousin was insistent on booking her on Allegiant out of Clearwater, but by the time she added all the extra fees in, it was actually cheaper to book her on Delta right out of Sarasota where she lives. She'll have a connection in Atlanta, but will actually start and end in the cities she wants to be in instead of having an hour drive on each end. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

I have never flown on the cheaper airlines, just because they either were not going to the city that I needed or the times were not right.  However, with all of the problems with airline delays this past year, our local news did a story on those airlines.  It seems that the cheaper ones do not have any affiliations with the major airlines and that is why those passengers always seem to get stranded.  Major airlines work together when something happens, but they apparently do not work with the cheaper airlines.  I guess what it gets down to is that you get what you pay for.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

That's true.  With Delta, they are known for extremely tight connection times, so 50% of the time you miss your Delta connection.  However, they have someone waiting for you as you get off the plane with your new connection information, most of the time it's on Delta, but sometimes they change you to another airline.

And then you have to wait for your luggage to catch up with you at your destination.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

Another Southwest fan.  Their fares are stable.  They make flying as easy as possible.  Plus, they use humor! 

I was once flying to Florida and the pilot came on and said something like "we are about three hours from Phoenix and it looks like we will have a very pleasant flight..."   Then he came back on and said "got cha".

I think discount airlines can have a sense of humor as well. I used to fly a discount airlines that had 5 aircraft.  One of them was always on the tarmac.  Once, when we were taxing down the runway and passing the aircraft, the flight attendant looked over at me and said that is where they got their spare parts. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela