Respected Contributor

Re: Middle name on my plane ticket....

Last month I went for my Real ID and because my birth certificate has my middle name on it, I had to get a new driver’s license that reflected the full name.

By the time I was done, from having to get a county official marriage license ( not the church-issued license ) and some corresponding items ( driver license ), I spent close to $ 80.  

I think they they will keep on postponing / extending the deadline forever...not everybody can afford this hoop-jumping.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

There won't be a problem.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

It’s happened to me, as long as the middle initial matches you should be fine.

I decided years ago, whether, I’m flying international or domestic, I use my passport, therefore my name remains the same.

Respected Contributor

My driver's license has my Middle Initial but my passport has my full middle name.  Just renewed my passport and apparently it was not a problem.  Wasn't 10 years ago either.  We are going to Europe next month and made our flights using the exact names on our passports  through our travel agent.

Trusted Contributor

I have a friend Laurence who goes by Larry to anyone who knows him. Business or personal relationships, he’s always Larry. He makes his travel reservations as  Larry Lastname and uses his familiar name as if it were his formal first name. But sometimes his tickets show as Lawrence instead of Laurence or Larry. He travels everywhere, in the US and overseas. 

He’s never missed the plane, never had any extra interviews or hassles outbound or inbound. He’s Larry, Lawrence and Laurence and he shows ID, whatever special credentials frequent fliers obtain to ease their way through TSA, and it just gets him through. 

Don’t make this all that upsetting. For every horrible story about travel nightmares, there are thousands of people who get on lines, get through the screening, get on planes and go somewhere. Even bureaucracy understands how names and initials correlate. Have a great trip!