Honored Contributor
Traveling With Your Pet 101 Christina Ianzito February/March 2018

small white dog on a plane

9 things you should know about taking your little one on a plane, train or into a hotel.

Flying

1. Airlines’ policies on pets in the cabin vary, but American Airlines and Delta Airlines allow dogs & cats (Delta also allows birds) to fly in carriers that can fit under the seat; the fee is $125 each way on domestic flights (international travel, however, gets complicated). Southwest Airlines charges $95. Service animals fly free. 

2. Airports that serve more than 10,000 passengers a year are now required to have pet-relief areas inside terminals — often small patches of fake grass with a cute red fire hydrant, for discreet pit stops.

Riding
Dog riding inside an old English passenger train

3. On most routes, Amtrak allows animals that are 20 pounds or less to ride in a pet carrier for $25 if the trip is less than seven hours.

Lodging
Two Labrador Retrievers sleeping on hotel room bed
4. Seventy-five percent of luxury, midscale and economy U.S. hotels now allow pets, according to a recent American Hotel & Lodging Association survey.  

5. Walt Disney World is testing pet inclusivity by welcoming dogs at 4 of its 26 resort hotels. Though fees start at an additional $50 a night, Rover gets a bag of toys and treats. 

6. Some hotel chains, including Red Roof Inn and Kimpton Hotels, welcome pets for free. Other hotels charge a fee but include pet perks. The Cypress Inn in Carmel, Calif., where your dog can stay for an extra $30 per night, hosts “yappy hours” most evenings. Humans sip wine; pooches eat grilled chicken. 

7. Vacations Rentals are a good option for traveling with Spot. About 25 percent of homes listed at Home-Away are billed as pet friendly.

Dining
Couple eating fries outdoors with two dogs

8. Many restaurants are allowing diners to eat with their dogs in outdoor patio areas, in part thanks to loosening city laws.   

9. Lastly, before setting off, find pet-friendly businesses at your destination, or at points along the way, at bringfido dot com or gopetfriendly dot com

ARTICLE LINK

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: 🐈 Jet Setting Pets 🐩

I'm petless at the moment, but didn't jet set with my pets.  They stayed home with their pet sitter when I jet setted.  🚀🚀🚀. When I moved, they road in the back.  It was a very long two day trip.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Because we owned a dog and did not want to leave her at home was WHY we travelled with a camper. Whatever inconveniences she caused were to us only and no one else.

Honored Contributor

When I travel, my cat goes to the kennel.  He's too ferocious for a "cat sitter."  When I moved, I had to have him sedated.  All hell broke lose when he came to in HIS my new home.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

One of the several reasons we don't have a dog.  DH and I travel a lot.  Wouldn't want to board it and I couldn't believe it when a friend of mine who took her small dog on Southwest had to pay $200 round trip for it.  A seat costs less!!  I always thought if the animal was in a carrier and could fit under the seat it would be free.  Wow!

Honored Contributor

I have two small dogs. When we travel or go on vacation, they go with us.  I don’t have a pet sitter and they are not the type of dogs that would survive being in a kennel.

They have stayed in hotels and in our camper. Last year we went to Florida for a month and they were there too.  They are perfectly behaved. 100%potty trained with no accidents, they don’t chew or bark and they are really cute.  We enjoy having them along.  The both travel well and love it.  

When they pass over, I don’t think we will get any more pets. We would love to travel abroad or take a cruise or fly to a sunny location...like Hawaii, which we can no longer do.

We have spent many years traveling, so we know what we are missing. But for now, we are content to live the good life with our canine babies.