Trusted Contributor

@SANNA, DH and I went to France last spring.  When are you going and to what section of France?  I'd be happy to help you, if I can.

Without going though my French trip notes, I can tell you that a great place to use as a base to visit the Loire Valley Chateau is Amboise.  I can recommend a hotel called Le Choiseul. (the breakfast was terrific!) The Chateau d'Amboise was a favorite of the French King Francis I, he enticed Leonardo Da Vinci there at the end of his life and provided him with a home not far from the Chateau.  Both the Chateau and Da Vinci's home are worth a visit, as well as all the other Chateau and gardens in the area.  Believe it or not, DaVinci is buried there in France!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sammijo10 .. I've been to Italy many times.  There is so much to see in all the cities you mentioned.  There is no way you will be able to cover everything.  I would invest in tour books and decide ahead of time what you would like to see..     Another suggestion:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/best-cities-in-italy-places-to-visit

Respected Contributor

@Sammijo10 wrote:

@SANNA, DH and I went to France last spring.  When are you going and to what section of France?  I'd be happy to help you, if I can.

Without going though my French trip notes, I can tell you that a great place to use as a base to visit the Loire Valley Chateau is Amboise.  I can recommend a hotel called Le Choiseul. (the breakfast was terrific!) The Chateau d'Amboise was a favorite of the French King Francis I, he enticed Leonardo Da Vinci there at the end of his life and provided him with a home not far from the Chateau.  Both the Chateau and Da Vinci's home are worth a visit, as well as all the other Chateau and gardens in the area.  Believe it or not, DaVinci is buried there in France!  

Oh thank you Sammijo, how sweet of you share! Loire Valley is fabulous destination, we stayed there for 4 days a few years back. My home base was Chinon and we visited 5-6 the most interesting Chateaus and explore local wine which we loved.

I love France, it is my favorite country to visit, so far i have been there 5  times, 4 times in Paris.... This time we are going directly to Lyon, and staying 6 nights, taking it easy, exploring the city and it’s surroundings. Not much time  this visit because we are visiting family in Germany prior for 3 days....

So if you are familiar with Lyon and something made an impression, please, share!

we are going on August 15th.

Have a great July 4th!

Trusted Contributor

Oh, gosh, Sanna, you are so sweet.  Of course, you've been to France and Italy, your posts clearly indicate that.  I'm so sorry I was so presumptious to 'explain' about the Loire Valley!  I can't believe I was so condescending!  Please forgive me.

I feel like planning this trip is becoming my part time job!  So much to arrange!  I know this is where pre-set tours can alleviate lots of pre trip work, but I would like to go on one trip where I don't have to worry about where to pick up rental cars and whether or not they'll be open on Sunday in Rome. How long it will take us to drive to one winery or another. Or where to park in Florence!  

DH is an engineer (need I say more?) and likes to know where and when he's going every day. And so I have to nail down all these details.  When I was working, I had an assistant to do all of this for me.  She'd hand me ticket and an itinerary and off I'd go.  I would fly by the seat of my pants a bit more, but it would make him (and me by extension) nutts!  

Thanks to everyone for your ideas.  

Respected Contributor

@Sammijo10 wrote:

Oh, gosh, Sanna, you are so sweet.  Of course, you've been to France and Italy, your posts clearly indicate that.  I'm so sorry I was so presumptious to 'explain' about the Loire Valley!  I can't believe I was so condescending!  Please forgive me.

I feel like planning this trip is becoming my part time job!  So much to arrange!  I know this is where pre-set tours can alleviate lots of pre trip work, but I would like to go on one trip where I don't have to worry about where to pick up rental cars and whether or not they'll be open on Sunday in Rome. How long it will take us to drive to one winery or another. Or where to park in Florence!  

DH is an engineer (need I say more?) and likes to know where and when he's going every day. And so I have to nail down all these details.  When I was working, I had an assistant to do all of this for me.  She'd hand me ticket and an itinerary and off I'd go.  I would fly by the seat of my pants a bit more, but it would make him (and me by extension) nutts!  

Lol, Sammijo ! My DH is an engineer also ! But my DH is very laid back person and trusts me with all the planning . His job is to find us the plane tickets, car rental and he carries luggage. Otherwise he is happy with all my plannings. It is a chunk of work, I always struggle but the end result is always wonderful, I know that tour groups make life easier but I do not enjoy to follow. I love my vacations at my terms and do not mind to make my own mistakes. They are fun too! We are sooooo lucky these days with all the info available between library, Internet.... So enjoy your planning , you will be happy to see the excitement of your loved ones!

Respected Contributor

Re: Italy in October

[ Edited ]

@SANNA wrote:

@Sammijo10 wrote:

Lol, Sammijo ! My DH is an engineer also ! But my DH is very laid back person and trusts me with all the planning . His job is to find us the plane tickets, car rental and he carries luggage. Otherwise he is happy with all my plannings. It is a chunk of work, I always struggle but the end result is always wonderful, I know that tour groups make life easier but I do not enjoy to follow. I love my vacations at my terms and do not mind to make my own mistakes. They are fun too! We are sooooo lucky these days with all the info available between library, Internet.... So enjoy your planning , you will be happy to see the excitement of your loved ones!

@SANNA @Sammijo10 You know,  I never used a tour group either, until I wanted to plan a trip to Italy the end of 2016, and there was a lot of unrest in Europe.  I thought it would be a good idea to be with a group who knew the ins and outs, yet I didn't want to travel with 50 people and wanted flexibility and some time on our own.  My travel agent recommended TAUCK Classic Italy Small Groups.    IT WAS THE TRIP OF A LIFETIME.  We were 22 people, and made such good friends on that trip (we went to Hawaii and Alaska with one of the couples we met, and when we go back to NY to visit my sister, we meet up with 3 couples from that trip and do dinner/theater).  The Tauck trip took us into the Sistine Chapel AFTER HOURS...   just our group of 22, and we were allowed to take pics.   It also took us to the floor of the Collesium, no lines,  private boat to Cinque Terre, etc.    We had time on our own, as well as planned time, and stayed at the most amazing hotels, both for location and history.  We also stayed in a Villa in Tuscany.

Enjoy your trip....  we went the end of Oct, and the weather was PERFECT.  Loved every second.

Regular Contributor

Take a food tasting tour in Rome.  Everyone will love it!  Art, architecture and food meets all needs.

Respected Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

@SANNA wrote:

@Sammijo10 wrote:

@SANNA @Sammijo10 You know,  I never used a tour group either, until I wanted to plan a trip to Italy the end of 2016, and there was a lot of unrest in Europe.  I thought it would be a good idea to be with a group who knew the ins and outs, yet I didn't want to travel with 50 people and wanted flexibility and some time on our own.  My travel agent recommended TAUCK Classic Italy Small Groups.    IT WAS THE TRIP OF A LIFETIME.  We were 22 people, and made such good friends on that trip (we went to Hawaii and Alaska with one of the couples we met, and when we go back to NY to visit my sister, we meet up with 3 couples from that trip and do dinner/theater).  The Tauck trip took us into the Sistine Chapel AFTER HOURS...   just our group of 22, and we were allowed to take pics.   It also took us to the floor of the Collesium, no lines,  private boat to Cinque Terre, etc.    We had time on our own, as well as planned time, and stayed at the most amazing hotels, both for location and history.  We also stayed in a Villa in Tuscany.

Enjoy your trip....  we went the end of Oct, and the weather was PERFECT.  Loved every second.

It sounds like fantastic trip! Sounds expensive too. I do the same thing on my own  for very reasonable price. I splurge selectively. I still think that 22 people is too many, on my taste. And I am not afraid of European situation. I still remember a peaceful Tuesday morning in Manhattan on 9/11....

But some countries I would visit with a group due to the cultural differences, such as Japan, China. Europe is home to me, easy and fun to explore.

Respected Contributor

@SANNA wrote:

@nyc1 wrote:

@SANNA wrote:

@Sammijo10 wrote:

It sounds like fantastic trip! Sounds expensive too. I do the same thing on my own  for very reasonable price. I splurge selectively. I still think that 22 people is too many, on my taste. And I am not afraid of European situation. I still remember a peaceful Tuesday morning in Manhattan on 9/11....

But some countries I would visit with a group due to the cultural differences, such as Japan, China. Europe is home to me, easy and fun to explore.

@SANNA  I still work and put in a 55 hour week.  I absolutely don't have the time to spend researching everything.  This is perfect for us,  plus,  there would be no way we could get into the Sistine Chapel after hours without the crowds, or do many other things offered here.  It's nice that we can all make our own choices and that there are so many options.

Respected Contributor

I am a full timer too.... But I really enjoy the process of research and planning. I just got 3 fresh books from my library to finalize my August plan.

As for Vatican tours, I did my bookings directly through them, using their website. We had a private tour with their guide for very little money, slightly more than normal ticket, but I do not stand in lines..... And actually there were after hours night tours available.

But I know , not everyone likes this tedious job, I love it!