Honored Contributor

Watching a show on NetFlix called Shetland and I just love the scenery. The cliffs and the all the green. I feel I need to watch one about Scotland. They must be close in the way the country looks. I wonder if the water helps keep it so green? I think so.

If you've been to either or both, what can you tell me about them?  Not traveling there, but curious about both. 

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Shetland is another PBS series I've enjoyed for awhile. Actually, it does take place in Scotland if I remember correctly. It's based on books by Ann Cleeves but I've not read them. I need to put those on my reading list!

Respected Contributor

We love Ireland. The shades of green are amazing. Both times we were there we were on a tour. The last time we were in both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. The people were very friendly.I am hoping to make a trip back next year after kitchen renovations.

We also enjoyed traveling around Scotland. I wish I could go back and spend a month in both.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal Hi! Ireland is WONDERFUL!

If you have the patience and really want to know what it is like in Ireland, pull up the Travel Chat thread that I started on May 1, 2016 (we had no Travel Forum at that time), jump to June 24, 2016, and that is where I started to post daily about my three-week trip to Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. 

It was a fantastic trip and I highly recommend Ireland as a go-to place. There were so many posters during that time that could identify with where I went and what I saw. They had either been there or had ancestors from there. I tried to be quite detailed in my posts so that everyone would get a feel of the country.

@JudyL took the same tour I did a few months later and posted her take on the country too. 

Beautiful, beautiful country....so green. The people were so welcoming and friendly. 

Honored Contributor

Ireland is beautiful!  The green is a beautiful shade - different than I've seen anywhere else.

Respected Contributor

Ireland is magical.  There's just something in the air.  It's truly a beautiful country and the people are so welcoming. 

Nothing about it has ever disappointed us.  Then again my maternal grandmother was born there.

Honored Contributor

I love everything about Ireland.  My paternal grandparents emigrated from Ireland.

We are renting a house on the West coast this summer for a week.  Our son and his family will be with us for a few days.

Honored Contributor

All I can say is Ireland is a wonderful country to visit.  My daughter studied there during college for one year.  We visited during that time and she travelled with us as well.  The country is beautiful....and, people very friendly!  We stayed at several B&B's that were wonderful.  Places we loved were Galway, Cliffs of Mohr, Killarney, Dingle Peninsula...of course, Dublin, and we were there in March.....with St. Patrick's Day celebration!  Would love to return and visit other areas we missed.

Honored Contributor

Yes, the photos look just like the country.

Or, the country looks just like the photos.

I was there 3 years ago, it is absolutely beautiful!  I believe it stays so green because there is so often a mist, at least there was a mist the 3 weeks I was there.

The people were friendly, I had a bit of trouble finding well rounded meals as I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian.  What I found was mostly overcooked veggies, and limp salads.  Not a big deal, just a note.

Glad I had the opportunity, not on my list for a re-visit, nothing bad, just other places I'm more drawn to.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

I haven't been to Scotland (yet), but love Ireland. It is very green and many of the buildings are painted bright colors. Very charming! We were really delighted that the food was so good in Ireland. We didn't have high expectations as we figured it would be on a par with some of the more ordinary food of England. Boy, were we wrong! We had lots of gourmet meals, and even the cheaper roadside diners were outstanding.