Honored Contributor

An article called In Defense of Overpacking, by Taffy Brodesser-Akner, in the Winter 2017 edition of VIA, a magazine by AAA Insurance/Travel company, got my attention. Taffy is also a contributing writer for GQ and the New York Times Magazine.

Her article is a mixture of humor, common sense, and perhaps a bit of defying the status quo, but I really enjoyed her questioning why we should travel light when for some, more luggage makes for a happier vacation. To get a sample of her style, here is an excerpt:

“I am an overpacker, and I am not ashamed. Call me a revolutionary if you must, but I cling to the notion that vacations should be comfortable. When I fly, I still check luggage, or ship it ahead of time. I bring a big suitcase, plus a small one, on weekend road trips. I pack contingency outfits and just-in-case wear. I put in a redundant pair of shoes that goes better with Contingency Outfit One than Main Outfit Two. I bring two books, the one I’m reading and a backup, so I won’t run out of material. I carry a full complement of cosmetics, because I am not 25 anymore. In other words, I bring choices.”

She offers tongue-in-cheek comments and goes completely against the present suggestions for packing. She makes me laugh with the following:

“I know schlepping all that stuff is a hassle and expense. I not only contribute to the nearly $4 billion that U.S. airlines collect annually in baggage fees, but often end up tipping porters, drivers, bellhops, or others, because I literally can’t carry all I’ve brought with me. You might think that’s foolish, but here’s the thing: it costs more money, and valuable vacation time, to buy additional clothes or toiletries at my destination.”

I thoroughly enjoyed envisioning her on her travels with this section of the article. It brought a smile to my face:

“I’ve tried to pare down. The summer before last, I took a week-long trip to Switzerland with only a large backpack. Traveling light wasn’t more convenient. I quickly ended up with two pairs of dirty jeans, a stained shirt, a smelly shirt, no makeup, and no options. In Zurich, I was cold at night, because my only sweater got damp. In the Alps, I had to buy a jacket, which didn’t fit into my bag. I carried it over my arm for two days until I finally bought a suitcase in Zermatt.”

Towards the end of her article she perhaps justifies (or maybe talks herself into believing) her decision to carrying so much luggage:

“Personally, I pity the light packers. When I arrive at my destination, I have enough choices and creature comforts to feel at home in another place. Because that’s why I travel, to feel more at home in the world.”

What a fun article to read!

Trusted Contributor

Re: In Defense of Overpacking

@World Traveler,

I totally identify myself with the writer. I miss the good old times when we could travel in style two huge suitcases for overseas flights. Asian airlines are quite lenient in my recent experience.

Now I am still in the process of relearning to under-pack. Your guidelines are super useful🌻

Honored Contributor

A woman after my own heart!

Honored Contributor

I would sooner have too much stuff than not enough!  Traveling is stressful anyway for me and not to have the things I may need available make it just not fun at all and the purpose of most travel is to enjoy yourself.  I won't deviate from my  skin care rountine and don't want to just take bare essentials.  I don't want to have to wash clothes, wear unclean clothing or wear the same thing over and over and not have appropriate shoes etc.  If I have to do that, I'd sooner just stay home!! 

Respected Contributor

I admire those who can pack a carry on only for a week long trip to  anywhere. I try, but invairably take the wrong shoes or don't have rain gear or forget sunscreen and on and on.

My friend reminded me that we used to pack an IRON! Another friend laughed and remembered that she had a small suitcase with nothing but toiletries and shoes. 

Honored Contributor

I totally understand and feel the same way...I like to be prepared and look decent!  I don'tunderstand women who can travel in Europe for a few weeks with only a single small overnight bag.

While my cosmetics, brushes, etc. can easily take up a small bag I have learned to par it down.  However to me it's not just about enjoying a new place when traveling...I have to look reasonably attractive too or else I'm not really going to enjoy myself. It may sound pathetic to some who appear that they just don't care what they look like (after all they'll never see these people again!)  I don't mean that I have to look overdone but to look well put together which takes more than just a few items for a trip.  I also hate looking dirty and rumpled!

I'm the type that can't go out in public without some light makeup.  I don't like people thinking that I must be ill which is how I look with a naked face.  I know lots of women who rarely wear any makeup and can get by with just a few outfits for a long trip. That's not me.

Honored Contributor

@granddi LOL!!! I still have my travel iron somewhere in the house. I keep thinking I should give it to someone, but I hang on to it to remind me of the days when I needed it on a trip. Now I only travel with clothes that do not wrinkle, but do remember getting the bath towel in hotels and putting it on the dresser (or having to resort to the bed!) so I could iron some things.

I also remember the cosmetic luggage (Samsonite); the little suitcase with a nice sized built-in mirror and lots of room for all my toiletries. That was the piece that went in the overhead bin and fit!

Honored Contributor

I'm jumping up and down wanting to be recognized as a 'proud' overpacker!  Yepper!

OK, so when my girls were young my late husband and I traveled all over Europe (29 days in 19 hotels all over Europe).  We only had one reservation ahead and that was when we arrived in London (and even that we immediately changed).  We never lost one garment or hair curler thingy, etc.  It's called....being organized.

Each girl (they were young (5, 10 and 12) was responsible for their own 'things'.  That was in the days of curlers, etc.  We blew out at least 3 (that I remember of those converters.  Ha!

Anyway (and finally) this original poster reminded me of this travel and all of the many we went on when my girls lived at home.

My oldest daughter has always been the opposite of me (and that's often a good thing) Ha!  EXCEPT in the case of overpacking....she's a minimalist (in everything).  Drives me crazy but whatcha' gonna do?  Ha!

Her two sisters are like their mom (especially the middle one).  She was skinny but the oldest could still wear her clothes ..... and that was her salvation.  Wherever we went the oldest was always 'borrowing' her 2 year younger sister's clothes...(I'd always hear, "Mom SHE'S wearing my clothes again").   

But funny this is this oldest daughter had 2 girls of her own (and.....you guessed it...one is an overpacker and the other.....well..just like her Mom in every way).  My was recently complaining to me that they are constantly yelling about "she borrowed my makeup...she has on my pants....and on and on".  

When I travel (which isn't often) I pack clothes I never wear....so what?  The weather could change...the sky might fall in...Ha!  

One good thing about getting old(er) is that everyone...most people...give you a break as far as criticism...besides when flying...I do check my suitcase..it's not like I'm cramming it into the overbin (like most people do).  It's stupid that I see some of the things people carry on the plane!  I'll never understand why most are in such a hurry.

Don't pull that argument about changing planes because dollars to donuts most people are only taking one plane...I see it time and time again....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would rather pay an extra $25 for a suitcase filled with unused and unworn items, than get to my destination and not have what I need.

One New Years we went to the Cotton Bowl.  The forecast was 60's and sunny.  When we arrived the weather was spring like.  That night a freak ice storm came through.  The next day we were at the mall buying winter coats, gloves and boots. (not like we didn't have multiple coats and boots at home)

Never again.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@granddi LOL!!! I still have my travel iron somewhere in the house. I keep thinking I should give it to someone, but I hang on to it to remind me of the days when I needed it on a trip. Now I only travel with clothes that do not wrinkle, but do remember getting the bath towel in hotels and putting it on the dresser (or having to resort to the bed!) so I could iron some things.

I also remember the cosmetic luggage (Samsonite); the little suitcase with a nice sized built-in mirror and lots of room for all my toiletries. That was the piece that went in the overhead bin and fit!

Most hotel rooms have an iron but just to be safe, I never travel without a steamer.