Super Contributor

Anybody been there?  I think you fly into Charleston, and its like an hour drive.

Any suggestions on things to do?

Super Contributor

I haven't been there, but I can definitely recommend Kiawah Island which is about an hour south of Charleston, SC.  The distance between Isle of Palms and Kiawah Island is about an hour and a half since Isle of Palms is a little north of Charleston.  My husband and I went to Kiawah as part of our honeymoon thirty-eight years ago.  The inn had just opened and the area wasn't as built up as now.  Then we went back when our son was eight and later with just our daughter as there is eight years difference in their ages and our son was in college at the time.  Kiawah is relaxing with a private nature to the beach and the condos you can rent.  And Charleston has lots of sites to see regardless of which area you go to.  As a history lover, I can definitely recommend the entire area.  Google the Isle of Palms online and go from there.  Have fun wherever you go!  

Trusted Contributor

We used to live near to Isle of Palms SC. Is not far from Charleston at all.  Except that one big hotel, a beach and few eateries there isnt much action on Isle of Palms. If one is going for the beach mainly is a nice beach. Much more to do in Charleston and surrounding area. If you like history there is also nice places to visit. (Ft Sumter, Ft Moultrie, various plantations, Charleston Battery Park, Historical Rainbow Row and homes in SC) Check out by googling things to do and can plan some trips on those "off beach days" Have a beautiful trip.

Respected Contributor

@qvc chick I was at Isle of Palms years ago ....can't remember what airport I flew into.  There was evidence of hurricane damage so the palms were beginning to revitalize. The place was quiet and beach beautiful...though being from the Northeast, I foud the water to be rather warm and not as invogorating as the waters in the Northeast, Cape Cod Ocean Side and New Hampshire and Maine.

Honored Contributor

I haven't been there but it sure sounds nice - an isle of palms...

Trusted Contributor

Love Isle of Palms.  Great beach but as someone else mentioned, it's a beach town.  Fortunately, if you have a car, you go to Charleston which is a wonderful time.  Historic and scenic. There's also a thriving restaurant scene or at least there was, pre-covid.

Esteemed Contributor

We had family reunion at Isle of Palms - 3 siblings & spouses with 10 kids. Rented 6 bedroom home. Nice, family beach. We had our own vehicles and explored the area. Great memories.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ISLE OF PALMS, SC???

[ Edited ]

Isle of Palms is gorgeous but there isn't that much to do. What about staying in Charleston? So much to do, great food. Plenty of walking so you might not need to rent a car.

Don't  know when you would plan on being in SC, but I will warn you it gets extremely hot and humid from June-August.