Trusted Contributor

Have any of the Buying Alaska, Rockies or Lakefront Houses shows inspired you

To pick up and move to one of those spots?

Maybe it might have even been one of the other many real estate shows.

If so, what was your experience?

Honored Contributor

Re: Have any of the Buying Alaska, Rockies or Lakefront Houses shows inspired you

No, especially those Buying Alaska "off the grid" episodes.  I don't understand people who want to live with an outhouse, no running water or electricity.  And usually it is not cheap.  Makes me laugh.

I'm very happy living here in downtown Chicago!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Have any of the Buying Alaska, Rockies or Lakefront Houses shows inspired you

[ Edited ]

I already live in a lakefront home in upper Michigan on our favorite lake.  It's our dream come true. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

only the BEACH ones......and i am seriously considering a permanent move in a few years.  i love the peace and quiet during the off season. luckily, we already have the place!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

No, interest of living at lakefront home. The close proximity to the lake can lead to property damage. Wood, metal and stone can all be affected by the unique conditions created by the lake.  And can't forget - mosquitos!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I may love traveling to some very remote locations for a week or two, but I’m very happy to come home to the city!  I’m just used to street lights and 24 hour stores (looking at you, Walgreens!) and can’t imagine living anyplace where a hospital is an hour away or where all the shops and restaurants close at 8pm.

Honored Contributor

The environment around my home has become increasingly important.  Sitting in the backyard viewing water, trees, mountains, or beach is my idea of bliss.  Surrounding yourself with nature .....that's where I want to spend time. 

Honored Contributor

I have no desire to live in a lake front home. Not my dream at all.

I do love the mountains and trees.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago we owned large beachfront property on Green Lake, WI.  It's a large, freshwater lake (the deepest lake in WI) and was pristine at the time. As people sold their summer homes on 2-3 acres, developers built magnificent homes on 1/2 acre lots. The peaceful, pristine lake became a playground for the wealthy from Chicago and Milwauke. It was no longer safe on the lake; too much drinking and drugs while driving boats. Lots of accidents, injuries and the fatalities began adding up. It was no longer the family-oriented place we had loved. We sold. I miss what used to be, but would never go back to anything like it. 

I own a condo in Silverthorne, CO. It's a small community, safe and easy access from Denver year-round. Sometimes, I drive; other times I fly into Denver and rent a vehicle to drive into Silverthorne. It's perfect for anytime of the year. No worries about crazy neighbors since the other owners are friends (from around the US) who also bought into the other five condos at the same time. Some have retired there and live year-round. The rest of us visit periodically. None of the condos are rentals. It's a safe environment for our children and their families to visit as well. Close to skiing in the winter and Lake Dillion for boating in the summer. Lots of hiking, biking, golfing, tennis, etc. in clean CO air! 

ETA: Would never give up my home in Lincoln. This is where my heart, family and best friends remain.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Nope. I already have a very small place on the beach on one of the barrier islands off the Gulf coast of Florida. It's been the perfect get away spot for many years. Not sure how long I'll keep it though as the island is being overdeveloped and overpromoted. It's really very sad. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~