Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 i HOPE YOU ARE A COFFEE DRINKER,BC THEY HAVE THE BEST KONA COFFEE IN THE WORLD.i BROUGHT SOME BACK WHEN WE WENT A FEW YRS AGAO.i CHERISHED IT! BEWARE,SPAM IS SERVED EVERYWHERE,SO IF YOU ARE A LOVER,GREAT,IF NOT (LIKE MYSELF,)TURN YOUR HEAD AND HOLD YOUR BREATH!

Honored Contributor

I hope you have a wonderful vacation.  Don't get too much sun and, if you surf, be careful.  The waves can be dangerous.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 

Local kine grindz in town:

• Leonard's Malasadas - Cinnamon/Sugar my fave!
  • Rainbow Drive-inn - EVERYTHING!
  • Nico's Pier 38 - for seafood
  • Rum Runner for cocktails at the Sheraton Waikiki
  • Hawaiian Pie Company

North Shore (my neck of the woods)

• Bonzai Sushi (if you like sushi) - you can make reservations via Yelp
  • Matsumoto's Shave Ice - no trip to the North Shore is complete without it
  • Giovanni's Shrimp Truck
  • Sunset Beach - beach perfection
  • Lei Lei's Bar & Grill at Turtle Bay resort (best Mai Tai's on the Island)

HAVE FUN!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 

Are you still in Hawaii?

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

Surfer wife I'm not the OP but we are going to Oahu in July and was going to ask for suggestions for a luau. Thanks

Honored Contributor

@springers 

The best luau is Paradise Cove luau in Ko'olina.

Frequent Contributor

@springers 

IMHO, Paradise Cove is okay, but there are others to choose from...

Paradise Cove is an immense venue, so if you are into big crowds, it will be fun. It is also in a cove, so ocean views. Food is mediocre, performances are very good.

Both the Polynesian Culture Center (featuring all of Polynesian) & the luau at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (right in Waikiki) are also very well done shows/luaus.

Chief's Luau - check out website (chiefs luau hawaii dot com)

Seems strange, but it's located in the Wet 'n' Wild water park. Luaus are done at night.

Easy to get to as it is one off-ramp right off the freeway.

Host, Chief Sielu (a real Samoa Chief), is a Fire Knife Artist and comedian. He's hilarious! He brings a lot of heart to his show & is a really really nice guy. Performances are great!

If possible, get as close to the stage as you can. Also get your drinks, with your  drink tickets, when the lines are shorter as they can get long.

The Chief's Luau is a smaller but more intimate luau experience.

Keep in mind, you will get "tourist" Hawaiian food at these shows. Still good food, but some are better than others. If you want real Hawaiian food, go to restaurants or food-to-go places that specialize in Hawaiian food. 

Have a great time in Hawaii!

Regular Contributor

We returned yesterday from the Four Seasons in Oahu.  Everything was lovely. We had no problem with our flights. Very few passengers wore masks.  We did!

Honored Contributor

we had major problems with our american airlines flight going to hawaii.....lots of drama and headaches and had to leave from a completely different airport. we lost an entire day unfortunately.

coming home we had no issues.

we had such a great time though doing things we loved and doing some new things and even getting chances to relax on the beach with cocktails! also tried a few new restaurants that will now be keepers. still have an ongoing list of things to do that we did not get a chance to do, but there are only so many hours in a day.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein