Occasional Contributor

Re: FINGER LAKES?? Hotel suggestions?

Although it can be a little pricey, I would highly recommend the Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel on Seneca Lake (http://www.watkinsglenharborhotel.com). My husband and I stayed there this summer and it was a beautiful hotel located near many local wineries. Although we chose to do our own driving, we noticed that there were winery tours (buses and limos) that left daily from the hotel. Another suggestion I have is to look into staying on Skaneateles Lake. I may be a little biased because I grew up there, but in my opinion it is the most beautiful of the Finger Lakes! There are many different hotels to choose from (Sherwood Inn, and  Mirbeau Inn and Spa to name a couple). Although there are only 2 wineries that I know of on the lake, there are many fun restaurants and shops to explore in town and I think you would enjoy it. Plus, you are within easy driving distance to some of the other finger lakes with more wineries. Good luck and have a wonderful time!

Honored Contributor

I spent my first year of college up there, and had relatives not far away. Everyone else has already given you great advice, and what a great idea for a "girls' trip"!

There are a lot of wineries along Seneca Lake, from Geneva to Watkins Glen. Geneva is a college town, so there are a lot of nice places to stay there - and it's beautiful. Like others here have said, try to spend some time in Watkins Glen. If you are interested in the actual gorges at the state park, you can take a short trail or long trail to the top, then take a bus back down. It is absolutely beautiful. I was there a few years ago, and it hasn't changed much! The town itself is charming too. (It can be cool in October and chilly after the sun goes down, so plan for that.)

If you have time to go to Seneca Falls, about 30 minutes away, you can see a museum dedicated to the birthplace of women's rights. And if you're staying on that end of the lake, there is outlet shopping in Waterloo (about 15 minutes away).  Have fun! Smiley Happy

We love the finger lakes and stay at the Gorgeous View Motel in Watkins Glen. Very nice and clean motel with great views of the lake. Make sure to hike in the Watkins Glen State Park. There are lots of fun wineries. Some of our favorites are Fox Run, Glenora and Dr Frank. A trip to the Corning Glass Museum is a must. There are great restaurants in Watkins Glen, two of the best are Murabella and Jerlinda. Enjoy your trip and also the beautiful waterfalls! One of the best is down the street from Murabella Restaurant.

Esteemed Contributor

As many have already written, the Finger Lakes is a large area. I live in that region and the first town that came to mind was Skaneateles. The town is right on the lake and it is absolutely charming, with lively shops and restaurants. Mirbeau Spa is a fabulous place to stay, although it's a bit pricey.

If wineries are your first priority, staying near Seneca or Cayuga Lake could work out well. Taughannock Farms, near Ithaca, is on a hill overlooking Cayuga Lake and a state park. The scenery in that area is gorgeous. In fact, there's a well-known phrase that describes the region, filled with stunning waterfalls...Ithaca is Gorges. Ithaca is also home to Ithaca College and Cornell University, my alma mater. On the eastern side of Cayuga Lake is  Aurora. The village is charming, with great homes that have been converted into beautiful inns and restaurants. October is a great time to visit. The autumn colors are spectacular.