Valued Contributor

My DH and I took all our kids on a cruise 15 years ago. We are thinking of doing it again. We took a Mexican cruise back then and now we would like to do the Caribbean. There would be about 16 of us and I would like your recommendations on which cruise line woulld be the best for all of us. And which ports would be nice to see and do things on. We wouldn't be going until 2018; Probably Nov. after the hurricane season. Thanks.

Contributor

we used to cruise twice a year but have since decided to do resorts... I would ck out the different cruislines and look at what they have to offer, they are all pretty good these days...see what each has to offer for entertainment and dining options and wether there is upcharges for certain things because they have started that. We flet like we were getting nickel and dimed to death and we really had visited about all the places we wanted to visit more than once ...

Honored Contributor

We have been on several cruises we loved Celebrity, mildly disliked NCL and hated Carnival

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

I went on my first cruise last Christmas and I am 73.  My kids took me and we went to the Caribbean on Oasis of the Sea.  It was amazing and so big that you couldn't do everything.  Great programs for the children and we even saw Cats and a very funny commedian.  Have fun what a nice trip to all take. 

Bookbabe

Honored Contributor

We have taken many cruises and it all depends on what you're looking for.  If you're more interested in onboard activites, choose one of the megaships that Royal Caribbean offers.  If you're more interested in the ports of call, choose a smaller ship like Holland America or Celebrity.  It all depends on the ages of the children since some cruise lines are better at children's activities then others.  Determine priorities, do the research, check out cruisecritic.com and bon voyage!

Esteemed Contributor
I agree with some of the posters above - really need to know what the age range is. What did you like about your Mexican cruise? A LOT has changed in the last 15 years.

What kind of vacations have you been taking otherwise? Do you like luxury vacations or more adventurous activities?
Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego  Will there be young children going? 

I went on a cruise of the Western Caribbean where we hit 5 or 6 islands.  I couldn't tell you which was which as they all looked pretty much alike. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I went on a cruise of the Western Caribbean where we hit 5 or 6 islands.  I couldn't tell you which was which as they all looked pretty much alike. 

I agree.  IMO you've seen one island, you've pretty much seen them all.  DH and I are not beach people so we found Puerto Rico the most interesting.  The language may change and the level of poverty but otherwise pretty much the same.

Honored Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I agree.  IMO you've seen one island, you've pretty much seen them all.  DH and I are not beach people so we found Puerto Rico the most interesting.  The language may change and the level of poverty but otherwise pretty much the same.

We went a day early so we could see San Juan.  Glad we did because it was very interesting.  We hired the cab driver who drove us from the airport to come back the next day and give us a tour.  He was personable and very knowledgable.  He even took us to the restaurant where the Pina Colada was invented so we could try one.  We regretted that we hadn't allowed time to visit the rain forest. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My husband and I did two cruises on Royal Carribbean over 15 years ago.  Bahamas first time.  Flew to Puerto Rico second time and cruised Virgin Islands from there.  Last fall we cruised with Carnival just because the trip appealed to us.  We stayed in Miami for two nights then cruised to Key West and Cozumel where we had never been.  We were kind of apprehensive about Carnival but it was wonderful.  The cabin was much bigger with more space and more storage space that RC.  Same type of outside cabin.  You can do cruises that include Cuba now which would be interesting.  If there are young kids/grandkids the Disney Cruises are nice - cruise combined with Disney World.