Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

A new question......

Is the Internet accessible?  Is there a fee to be online when using an iPad or iPhone?  Will I still be able to send/receive text messages?

In general, yes to all questions.  I'm assuming you have no special rate that includes wifi.

As soon as you get on board, put you phone in plane mode.  Data on board is extremely expensive, so you want to make sure it's done before you take off (that being said, check with your phone provider as you may be able to use your phone in some ports).  You can buy data packages for wifi.

Will defer to those who have taken Holland before as to how they do this (buy a set time or pay daily, etc.)

I think some phone providers have cruise service - you can check those prices and compare to ship's wifi plans.  I've just used ship's wifi - with the knowledge that the service differs by ship.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely make sure you put your phone on airplane mode.  Wifi onboard is extremely complicated in that I once had my phone on and forgot (overnight) to put it on airplane mode.  Wake up to a text saying I have incurred over $200 in charges.  I called my provider and they removed the charges but again, ask lots of questions about phone usage onboard.

If you want to make a call - wait till you are in port.  When you make a call onboard, you are using their satellite and that's extremely expensive.  Before u go, call your cell provider and they oftentimes offer a reduced rate plan once you leave the US.  I have gone to the islands/Bermuda a lot and most times if you make a call it's been running about $.99per minute while in port. 

Regarding seasickness comment above - always check with a health care provider if you have special issues - but suggest taking some anti nausea meds with you that contains meclyzine (sp?).  It's the main ingredient in Bonine you buy at the store for seasickness but you can find it really cheap if you buy the store brand generic with this as a main ingredient.  Here's what you need to know - if you get seasick, take a pill right away bc a pill takes about 2 hours to kick in.  I never had seasickness before - UNTIL I DID.  It's that iffy so I always take a pill once I walk onto the ship and continue to take one each day while onboard.  The dizziness and vertigo is extremely debillitating once a ship starts rolling. 

Respected Contributor

This has been a very informative and interesting discussion.  Happy vacationing!

Super Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Interior staterooms are really bad.  I'd skip cruising if I had to stay in one.  You'll spend more downtime in your room than you expect.  All gratuities are included in your fare, however, I've had exceptional service from cabin attendants and have left envelopes with extra cash for them. 

It depends which ship your are sailing.

I usually give the staff members extra tip.

We've taken a lot of cruises on several different lines and have never sailed on one where gratuities were included in the fare. What line was this?

Super Contributor

@henderson wrote:

On Princess ships, we tell them not to automatically add gratities to our bill.  We prefer to wait and then tip to see how good the service was and then give them cash in an envelope.  We never tip anyone who hasn't provided service to us.  Our cabin steward would get a higher tiip.  They work very hard.  Also, I would suggest you bring dramamine in case you get seasick.  If you purchase it in the gift shop it's very expensive.  I paid $8 for a few pills.  I've been on many cruises and never got seasick until the last one from San Francisco to Mexico.  Also, if you can bring a case of water because it's expensive to purchase it on the ship and you'll need bottled water when you get off at the ports. 

Not sure about Princess (or Holland since that is the line OP is cruising), but on Royal Caribbean if you remove automatic tips and tip in cash, those workers MUST turn that cash in (or face dismissal). If you leave the automatic tips in place, you are free to tip additional to anyone you want and they can keep it (and, yes, the crew knows who has removed tips). You have no way of knowing who has actually provided service to you - do you ever eat in the buffet? Do you tip the servers there? They will get a "cut" from the automatic tips.

Honored Contributor

@dfyre

people from our group "opted out" of the gratuities on our Princess trip recently.  They "complained" about every thing from poor room steward, dining room, etc.😳🙄

I honestly believe when you "opt out" these workers know. My room steward was excellent & very helpful no matter what I asked.  In fact, the 2nd night I wasn't feel to good when he entered the room (to clean & prepare room) he knocked of course, told him I was a little under the weather - he called and had soup and crackers delivered to me! 

He also left me extra towels, etc. every night. On the other hand, the people traveling with our group said they had terrible service in their room. 

Cruising has changed a lot over the years. I think it's a wonderful way to travel & meet new people. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Considering a Cruise

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch

Congrats! You're going to have a blast! So much to do ... and the Neiw Amsterdam is a beautiful ship. 

I love seeing the ships pulling in and out of ports, you kinda wonder how these massive ships stay afloat!  One morning I woke up and went on the balcony to be greeted by the Allure of the Seas! 

I just wanted to add - if you have a dr. they can prescribe a patch for you (seasickness). I forget the name but you put it on 48 hours before you sail and change every 3 days. My insurance covered it and it really works! Never got seasick yet, but, the higher up your room is the less you feel the rock, movement of the ship from what I'm told. Your going to love your room. I think we stayed on the Navigation Deck on HA if I recall on the MS Rhyndam.

I think the Neiw Amsterdam goes out of Ft. Lauderdale - we flew over the day of our cruise (from Tampa) and we had purchased the transfers thru Princess -- for us it was well worth it that airport in Ft. Lauderdale was a total zoo!  

Heres what you'll look forward to: (as you relax on your balcony)🙂🙂🙂

IMG_5225.JPG

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I've not read any of the other posts outside of the original one so if this is a repeat, I'll apologize.

First of all, if you are going on what is called a closed loop cruise, meaning you are leaving from and returning to the same port, in the USA, you do NOT need to have a passport.   You need a certified copy of your birth certificate and a picture ID. 

My DH and I just booked our first cruise.  We are leaving out of Tampa and returning to Tampa.  It's a short 5 day, 4 night to Cozumel on Royal Carribean.  We want to do a shorter cruise because we have no idea if we'll like it or not.  The boat we are on is an older, smaller boat.  One of my co-workers was on the same boat in December and he said to him, the boat was still huge.

When I was making the decision on a room, I asked him if it was worth it to pay the upgrade for a window or even a balcony and he said he didn't think so.  He said the window is tiny and doesn't open anyhow and you aren't in the room enough to justify the additional cost.  I do wish we could have gotten higher up on the ship.  We are on the third level.   

You should get passports. 

I would get a passport even though (read here):

US Citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port) and travel to destinations in Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, and Bermuda are able to re-enter the United States with proof of citizenship other than apassport or passport card.

I have no intention of getting a passport for this cruise.   I have our certified copies of our birth certificates, I'm flying from Ohio to Florida and we will not miss getting back on the boat in Cozumel.  That won't be an issue.

You don't have to get one, just replying nicely to you.

Respected Contributor
I haven't seen any discussion about drink packages. I am conflicted. I was surprised that I could not even get soda with meal without expense (or at least nothing was offered). At what point does it pay to get alcohol package.
Esteemed Contributor

Lots to say.  Have been on many cruises. We go with a group that thinks for us.. as far as selections.  We end up with only choices for the off shore excursions which I have not had good luck with.  I will write later.. got to run to an appointment.  But appreciate the chance to share.  Do love Royal Caribbean and will never ever on on the MSC line.  Ever.  Talk later.