Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I ended up booking with Enterprise again.  If I cash in some of my points the price was the same as the "bargain" rentals.  But, I plan to keep checking prices until the day I leave to see if something better comes along.

Honored Contributor

The last time DH and I rented a car we did it on our own through Budget.  They were the cheapest of the legit places.  I wasn't going through any of those really low cost, never heard of places.

I do have AAA but they use Hertz as they were a lot more expensive than anywhere else.

I now have AARP and was told they are the cheapest but you have to call AARP to get the deal because it's not an advertised price.  AARP was even cheaper than Costco.   

Super Contributor

I just rented a car yesterday and did a search on Costco.com.  Budget happened to be the cheapest from that search, however when I went to Budget.com I got it an additional $25 less.  Here I thought Costco.com was the best place to rent a car when for me it was budget.com.  

Honored Contributor

For work, we have to rent with our contracted company.  For years we had Hertz and they were excellent.  We moved to National recently and every car I get has some issue or another.

A few times, my boyfriend rented the cheapest car available and it was fine.  One time, the car only had a door lock on the driver's side.  It didn't even have a trunk lock, you had to open the trunk by crawling inside the hatch.  They also had crank windows.  LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Update.  I have been traveling for many many years and I just stumbled upon this now.  I was checking the prices at enterprise to see if they went down since last week.  My plane lands at 11.54 so I was putting in noon as the pick up time.  This time I put in 11:30.  I found out that by putting in 11:30 or even 12:30 instead of noon, my price could drop $40.  If I put in noon, it stayed the same as last week.  Needless to say, I cancelled last week's reservation and made the new one for a $40 saving.  I'm going to keep checking the prices until the day before I leave.

Honored Contributor

Re: Car Rentals

[ Edited ]

I always go to Costco for rental cars. They have a low price finder and you can choose whatever company you want. We usually save hundreds when I compare our rate with other sites since we rent a car for ten days every fall for our trip to the Smokies. Usually Avis or Budget saves us the most money. 

Valued Contributor

I’d like to share my experience with Alamo. In the past two months I have made a reservation and rented twice from Alamo at the Fort Myers airport. The last time, as I approached the counter, I was greeted by the smiling face of the manager.  She led me to the representative at the counter who was friendly and efficient.   They offered me an upgrade on my vehicle for a minimal additional charge.  I took it and was so happy with my Toyota Highlander. 

A representative called me, mid week, to ask if I was happy with the vehicle. If I wasn’t, she offered me another upgrade if I wanted to come back to the airport and exchange the vehicle.  I told her I was very happy. She said she wanted to be sure I had a five-star experience with Alamo.  I told her it was.

Alamo is now my rental company.  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@henderson" I was added as a driver for free from Hertz."

"Tried to file a claim but it was denied as I was not on the contract with Hertz."

I am confused.  confused.gif

If there is written proof that you were an "added" driver, You should have filed an appeal.  I surely would have.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif