Respected Contributor

When you rent a car, do you usually go to the same company?  I tend to always rent from Enterprise, have had good experiences with them.  Am looking at rates for an upcoming trip and the rates seem high. I wouldn't mind going with a different company, but don't want any nightmare situations.

Anyone always use the same company with good results?

Thanks in Advance.

Honored Contributor

I always use whatever major chain is the cheapest and always book the smallest cheapest car I can get.

Everytime, except once, when I was at the counter to pick up the car, they did not have the budget priced car (they are popular and go first)  I booked on the lot, so they upgraded us for no charge. 

I have done this countless times.  The one time they did have the budget priced on the lot, we upgraded for a few dollars more.  It is always less expensive to upgrade at the counter than to book a more expensive car on line while making your reservation.

Esteemed Contributor

I book through Costco and pick whomever is cheaper.

Respected Contributor

Just like airlines, I tend to stick with the same company because of the loyalty rewards. The up-front price might be a bit more expensive to begin with, but when I look at the benefits that I recieve the bottom line is more attractive. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

When you rent a car, do you usually go to the same company?  I tend to always rent from Enterprise, have had good experiences with them.  Am looking at rates for an upcoming trip and the rates seem high. I wouldn't mind going with a different company, but don't want any nightmare situations.

Anyone always use the same company with good results?

Thanks in Advance.

Rates can be influenced by the day of the week you pick up and deliver. I’ve also rented through enterEnterprise’s prises online method and saved a few bucks that way. I only use Enterprise.

Honored Contributor

we go through AAA......and usually it is HERTZ.

they give us a discount AND cover all of us that have AAA cards at no extra charge, including those under the age of 25.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Re: Car Rentals

[ Edited ]

My sister and I both have AAA car insurance.  She rented a car in her name and I was added as a driver for free from Hertz.  I was driving the rental car and hit curbing -- hubcab was damaged

@sunshine45 wrote:

we go through AAA......and usually it is HERTZ.

they give us a discount AND cover all of us that have AAA cards at no extra charge, including those under the age of 25.

as well as the rim and sensor inside the tire.  Tried to file a claim but it was denied as I was not on the contract with Hertz.  Damage was $400 and if it were more than $500 (that's my deductible), my sister would have to place a claim against her policy.  Of course I would pay her back her deductible, but then she told me she didn't have comp or collision.  If she had gotten in an accident that wouldn't have been covered and she could have ended up paying thousands of dollars if she hit someone.  It was a wake-up call for both of us.  Now she is going to get extra insurance when she rents a car.

Honored Contributor

when we picked up the car from HERTZ after going through our local AAA office, we knew that ALL of us who would be driving would have to be there to sign the paperwork and show our drivers licenses and a major credit card.

we also added the HERTZ extra insurance, even though our automobile insurance agent (not through AAA insurance services) said that we would be covered. thank goodness we had no issues.....we had a minivan that we took to montreal.

sorry you had thosen problems @henderson 

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your responses.....I apreciate all of your comments.

Respected Contributor

As a family when we travel, we would always use Enterprise.  My husband, when he travels for work, always uses Avis.  Good experiences with both.  I would suggest signing up for the rewards programs, sometimes that helps with cost.  Also, never pay up front because it's usually not refundable.  If you find a rental car at a cost you like, book it, but keep looking because just like airfare, that price goes up and down.  And keep looking at all the other companies as well.  If price changes or you find a better deal, cancel the one you have a rebook.  This only works if you didn't pay all up front.  It also helps if you obtain and return the rental car to the same place.  And rental cars at airports are more expensive and, of course, holidays and weekends.