Regular Contributor

Re: Bucket List Vacation Ideas

Our family loves to travel.  Not knowing if your kids are more outdoorsy or city slickers here are a few ideas.

1.  Grand Canyon and Sedona Arizona.  

2.   New York City

3.    Las Vegas

4.   Hawaii

5.   Alaskan cruise

6.   New Orleans

7.   Nashville

8.    Lake Tahoe 

9.    Albuquque Balloon Fiesta in Oct.  

10.  San Francisco

Respected Contributor

Re: Bucket List Vacation Ideas

If it were me I would definitely go back to Ireland...and I know my adult children would love it.  

With only a week, I would fly into Shannon Airport and rent a car.  Visit Blarney Castle and kiss the Blarney Stone.  Stay at B&Bs on the Dingle Peninsula and explore there.   You can go to the pubs in the evening and enjoy the great music.

My kids aren't beach/nightclub type people.  They love history and nature, so this kind of trip would be great for them.  Maybe not for yours?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Bucket List Vacation Ideas?

During one of our spring breaks when I worked at a school, several of us went on an Hawaiian cruise.  The ship left from Honolulu.  Each day we went to a different island.  On our last day, returning to Honolulu, we scheduled a later flight so that we could visit Pearl Harbour.

Saturday to Saturday - one week!

Esteemed Contributor

Across the pond? During the Fall, Paris or London. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego :  Machu P. (To which I have not travelled) takes maybe a day or two to acclimate, so I'd eliminate it for a one week trip.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz  I respectfully disagree.  There are several itineraries that you can google that make it a very plausible trip.  Considering for some people, Macchu Picchu would be the only thing they would like to see in Peru, it makes it an ideal one week bucket list possibility and something different from the European suggestions.  It would just require a connecting flight

Frequent Contributor

Disney World during the Holiday season. Take in the bright lights, decor, festive treats and atmosphere.  One week may not be enough time, though. 

Valued Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

At this time, as an American, I would choose neither Greece or Turkey.  I would, however, go near (to Italy).  I think Rome is the prettiest place in the world.  If you are Catholic, have you considered the Vatican.  Even if you are not.  I have been militaty so have traveled a lot.  I still think Rome is gorgeous.  Charleston, SC is a near second on my list.

I might have an idea why you wouldn't choose Turkey right now but I think I am missing why shouldn't an American travel to Greece at this time?

Valued Contributor

What fun for your family.  If one week equals 7 days and you are flying within North America you'll have 5 days to sight see.  If you travel abroad you'll need 2.5 travel days as you will arrive in Europe the next day.  Can you stretch the week to include both weekends?  

I am one of those who loves Paris but with only a week I would suggest Yosemite.  I grew up in California and we saw a lot of the state as my dad worked construction so we moved around a lot.  We went to many forests and parks but not Yosemite and I finally visited as an adult.  It was wonderful.  We rafted down the Merced River as it runs through the Valley, rode mules (easy, no experience was needed), and drove to Tuolome Meadows.  There are some nice places to stay just outside the park if the lodging inside is booked.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you to everyone who responded with suggestions; I truly appreciate each and every one of them!  I will research them and hopefully narrow them down and talk to my kids when I am sure my son can get enough time off from work.

If and when this comes to fruition I know I will certainly have more questions for those who have visited the destination we decide on.  Thanks again for your ideas!  😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt