Super Contributor

WOOHOO---visiting your city next week---arriving Tues. departing Sat.  I am getting excited!  My question is----weather----yes, I have been googling National Weather and Accuweather but would love to have some input.  Are heavy coats needed for daytime and nighttime???  Or, should I carry a lighter one for the day?  Here in middle TN 50's for me is sweater weather---long sleeves under!  I want to pack light---hope to get by with one carry on luggage.  Is Chigago a "cold" 50's or like here---a sunny 50's in not so bad.  I know it is called the "windy" city---I have read how it got that name!  Just hoping for some local input please.  Plus, if you are familiar with the city---i will ask about our hotel ---address, safety, transport etc.  Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

@pietook wrote:

WOOHOO---visiting your city next week---arriving Tues. departing Sat.  I am getting excited!  My question is----weather----yes, I have been googling National Weather and Accuweather but would love to have some input.  Are heavy coats needed for daytime and nighttime???  Or, should I carry a lighter one for the day?  Here in middle TN 50's for me is sweater weather---long sleeves under!  I want to pack light---hope to get by with one carry on luggage.  Is Chigago a "cold" 50's or like here---a sunny 50's in not so bad.  I know it is called the "windy" city---I have read how it got that name!  Just hoping for some local input please.  Plus, if you are familiar with the city---i will ask about our hotel ---address, safety, transport etc.  Thank you!

I live on LSD near downtown Chicago.  The weather next week should be typical autumn cool. You won't need your Northface down coat, but you may want something substantial neverthless because the temperatures could be 50ish in the afternoon, but mid to low 40s at night, sometimes even cooler in the wee hours and early morning.   I would bring an umbrella because there may be rain mid week.  

By the way the real reason Chicago is called the windy city is not because of the wind (as in air).  According to research done by our local PBS station for a segment of specials they produce about Chicago the real reason is because the embattled local politicians during the early settlement days of the city used the term windbag to insult each other.  It stuck as a local nickname for the town. As the nickname traveled across the country people started to believe it was due to high winds.  

Honored Contributor

I live in downtown Chicago.  The weather is very changeable.  Yesterday it was 63, today about 10 degrees cooler which is more the norm.  It has been sunny with very little rain for the past few weeks.   For 5 days you should have no problem with just taking a carryon.  Personally, I would suggest a raincoat with 1 or 2 sweaters.  AND an umbrella.  When the wind comes off the lake 50 degrees can feel much colder.

Have fun!!  I spent most of my life in NYC and its suburbs but now I much prefer it here in Chicago.  It is a great city!!!

Super Contributor

I am thinking of a puffer jacket for daytime----waist length---and maybe a longer length puffer for night???  They pack easily.  Plus, a rain jacket with a hood.  I prefer a hood to umbrella!  The hotel is Hotel Julian, 168 N. Michigan.  I'm sorry I don't know the cross streets there.  Have only been here once and didn't venture too much.  Someone said not to go much further south than hotel???

Super Contributor

LOL--New York is where I leave a piece of my heart each time.  I have been about 8-9 times since 2012,  /we are doing Chicago this time because my niece, traveling partner, has never been.  It looks like a rainy week next week --- but hoping the forecast will change!  It rained nearly the whole time I was there before!

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure 3 coats/jackets are necessary for a 5 day trip but that's up to you.  I see that your hotel is new.  As far as going farther "south" of there, I assume you will want to go to the Art Institute, see the Cloud aka the Bean in Millenium Park.  Possibly the Museum of Science and Industry for which you can take the #10 bus.  Otherwise most other sights are East--Navy Pier--or North of where you'll be staying.  Stop in at the Chicago Architecture Center on East Wacker only a few blocks north of where you'll be.

Super Contributor

"Supposedly" our hotel is across the street from the Bean??  or very close---what the hotel said??  I do carry too much!  Also on my list---other than what you mentioned---is Signature Tower (where the great views from bar/restaurant even in the bathroom)? I think I want to do the Tilt!  Also, eat Chicago pizza, Navy Pier, HAVE to go to Garrett's Popcorn!  and a few other places.

Occasional Contributor

Why were you told not to go farther south from the hotel?  Michigan Ave. is a north-south street with Lake Michigan on the east. South of the hotel are lovely sights: cool bridge of the river, Millennium Park, Art Institute, Cultural Center. To the north on Michigan Ave. are many fancy schmancy designer stores. The last three days have been beautiful.  I'd say take a light coat/raincoat with one or two sweaters.  Have a great time.

Honored Contributor

Yes, you are close to the Bean.  Forgot to mention south of your hotel is the "museum campus" with the Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum easily reachable on the #146 bus on State Street.  And the River Walk is close to your hotel also.

Super Contributor

I was told by someone NOT a native of Chicago---about not going any further south.  That's one reason I asked on here---to get local opinions!  i know I can count on my QVC friends!