Valued Contributor

I have excruciating ear pain while on a flight ready to take off or land.  A friend said Sudafed helps.  Has anyone experienced this type of pain?  If so, what do you do that helps?

Honored Contributor

@pprmntstx    Why don't you Google "airplane ear pain"?  I bet there's a lot of info online.  The Sudafed might relieve any congestion in the ear.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  Thank you so much, I will!

Occasional Contributor

I've had that before and it is a horrible pain.  Have you ever tried chewing gum? That's always helped me.

Trusted Contributor

@pprmntstx wrote:

I have excruciating ear pain while on a flight ready to take off or land.  A friend said Sudafed helps.  Has anyone experienced this type of pain?  If so, what do you do that helps?

@pprmntstx   I had a ruptured eardrum as a kid and also have small eustacean tubes...so flying is always a challenge for me.  I understand your pain.   If you have fluid buildup in your ears...you will most likely have the ear pain.      As crazy as it sounds...the only thing to keep the pressure under control for me is to chew gum or drink water.  I never chew gum otherwise, but it does make a difference for my situation.   No medical claims here....just what works for me.    

Respected Contributor

Try earPlanes earplugs and chew gum. No more ear pain flying

Esteemed Contributor

Ditto @Janey2   Re: airPlanes (and gum - I can't tell you how many overpriced packages of gum I've picked up at the airport because the ones I bought in advance somehow get lost!!)

Valued Contributor

@pprmntstx I have sensitive ears flying too. One time on a flight, the Sudafed wasn't working quick enough ( forgot to take it half hour before take off) and a kind stewardess gave me 2 Styrofoam cups and put a hot clothing each. I put them over my ears ( yes I probably looked crazy lol) and wow it totally relieved my pain. 

Honored Contributor

I was told 20 years ago to chew gum during take off and landing and I always have. No pain, no problem, no ear popping.

Honored Contributor

@pprmntstx gum or mints-keep chewing and swallowing until the pressure subsides.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"