Respected Contributor

Re: A hotel in NYC? I will have to get to Central Park from it.

@PickyPicky3 We hope to go to GMA Concert on Friday morning & if we are able to then we will just be in NY for a couple of days.

How do I know what hotel or neighborhood I like?

I love that thought!

Respected Contributor

When it comes to hotels in NYC usually budget determines where to stay. Be aware that prices fluctuate daily. What can be $200 one night may be $350 the next. What averages $250 one week can average $400 the next week. It all depends on what's going on. It's very dependent on what is happening at the time. Rates also depend on how many beds are needed. Rooms with more than one bed are usually more expensive. 

Central Park is huge. Huge. And it's easily accessed on foot or by subway, bus and taxi so having a hotel next to the park may not be necessary. 

I would start looking at some guidebooks and make a rough itinerary of what you want to see and where the sites are located. If interested in a certain hotel look on google to view the neighborhood around it. 

Respected Contributor

@Dusty1   First time to NYC? As for neighborhood, it depends on how you'll be getting around. Bus? Subway? Taxi? Lots of walking? MidTown is busier but has more public transportation. Westside has more than Eastside. If you plan on using mostly buses and subways, I wouldn't stay downtown. There's public transportation everywhere, but you may have to walk farther and frequency may be less. 

What places are you planning on visiting? How late will you be out at night? 

Once you've got a neighborhood, as for hotel there's budget, size, amenities, and my favorite -- lobby seating. I like a place to get out of my room and sit and watch people.

I hope you get tickets and the weather is good.

Respected Contributor

I greatly appreciate all of your advice.

I have been to NY 2 times but once was a trip with my daughter's high school show choir group so I had no need to do anything but follow that group.

My 2nd trip was perfection! But again I had to make no plans or decisions. My best friend & I stayed with her Aunt that lived in NY. The teeniest apartment. You walked in. There was a doll sized stove & refrigerator in a corner of a room with a couch, tv & a bed.

Her bathroom was the size of a closet & if you reached your arm out the window in the shower you could touch the building next door.

We told her before we got there the things we would like to do & she was like the perfect tour guide. We need the bus for this. The subway for that. 

I have no experience planning a trip for myself & unfortunately when these oppurtunities come they give me no time to do research. 

You have 2 weeks notice to plan a trip to Las Vegas but 200,000 people are planning the same trip for that time. On top of the regular visitors.

Same with Chicago. 2 weeks notice. 54,000 people wanting to book hotels for those same nights.

This performance was announced yesterday for a show that happens in 1 week. BUT you don't know if you get tickets until they email you.

As of this morning neither my daughter or I have received any notification, so you can't book flights. You can book a hotel, but even those are starting to add so many fees & this & that add ons, it's hard to decide which is the best deal for you (When you have no idea about the areas & getting around & you have to do it as cheaply as possible.).

And hotels are getting less forgiving about booking & canceling.

So I do appreciate all of your advice! I love to hear about your travels, even if I am not going to get to actually travel.

Esteemed Contributor

I like the Essex, neighborhood is decent & CP across the street. Transportation is easy in NYC.
Trusted Contributor

I live in a suburb just out of nyc. You can consider staying in Nassau county and visiting the beaches and take the train in to see Central Park. You don’t say if you are visiting anywhere else in the city. I would think hotels on the island are a lot cheaper. If you are flying in to Kennedy airport you can take a tram to the Long Island rail road and go either to the city or the island. Just something to consider.
Trusted Contributor

I think it might be cheaper to stay in Nassau county which is a suburb right next to queens. You can visit the beaches take a trip out to montauk which is the end of the island and hop on the Long Island rail road to the city. You don’t say what else you are seeing in the city but I know you can take a shuttle from Kennedy airport to connect to the Long Island railroad. It’s only a 15 minute commute. I think the hotels would be probably more affordable. IMHO
Trusted Contributor

Sorry I posted twice.
Respected Contributor

We were in NYC recently and stayed at a Residence Inn on East 48th Street.  It was very well located and very nice inside.  Very walkable.