Regular Contributor

What a shame Geoffrey put non stick in a cast iron.

the whole point of cast iron is to season it yourself and make it like glass. Non-stick is so bad for you. 

Honored Contributor

Re: What a shame Geoffrey put non stick in a cast iron.

I inherited a beautifully seasoned and well loved cast iron Dutch Oven from my MIL. I'm not interested in the TSV.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I've never had seasoning and/or cast iron work out for me. 

Frequent Contributor

I have seasoned cast iron, porcelain coated cast iron and non stick cast iron from Geoffrey. I use them all. From Geoffrey I have his skillets and a griddle and ordered this dutch oven. Geoffrey has created a great line with its own purpose. Love my pieces from him. 

Respected Contributor

Yet Another chef with yet another line of cookware... I have an enamel cast iron Staub 6 qt from the Q, many years ago. I’ve used it maybe 5 times. It weighs about 20 lbs- empty!  No more cast iron. The lightweight cookware is perfectly safe IMO and cooks food just fine. 

Honored Contributor

@SleepyTime wrote:

the whole point of cast iron is to season it yourself and make it like glass. Non-stick is so bad for you. 

When I saw the TSV I was wondering about what it made it "non-stick".  Since I have several Le Creuset pieces, I really don't need any more cookware but was just curious.  I agree that most nonstick coating is bad!

Respected Contributor

I love cooking in cast iron but so disappointed that it's non-stick and that it's made in China. I'll stick with my Lodge pots and pans made in TN. Seasoning and cleaning these are not that difficult compared to the end result. I know it's difficult to find anything not made in China but I'm especially leary of cooking vessels from there. The memories of all the exploding cookware from there always come to mind, and we know what our American made cookware contains. I think I could probably find something similar from Lodge for maybe $20 more, well worth it as far as I'm concerned. I do have to admit this is a beautiful piece of cookware and I can understand why people can't resist it. 

Trusted Contributor

Any pan which I have purchased that had Non-Stick coating, the coating came off.  It makes me wonder what had been on my food.  For that reason I stopped purchasing anyting coated in Non-Stick years ago.

I do love my Le Crueset.  Use them every day.  

Honored Contributor

main selling point is "old fashioned" cast iron

but when selling Cruset its; remember how "grandma used cast iron"

right hand meet left etc 

you can find Lodge cookware many places or even house sales 

Honored Contributor

@SleepyTime wrote:

I don't think it's bad for you has it's place, but pointless in cast iron