Super Contributor

Re: Real Reason For Memorial Day

AND WHILE WE ARE AT IT...........I ABSOLUTELY HATE HEARING ""HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY"" !

There is NOTHING happy about Memorial Day. We are remembering the soldiers that died for this country .

Valued Contributor

I will never forget I am the daughter of a man from the Greatest Generation. It is with pride and honor we remember him, my uncles, and all who served.

Super Contributor

I live in Fredericksburg, Va where there were many Civil War battles. There are two cemeteries here that the boy and girl scouts place luminara/candles on each grave in the cemeteries. The luminara is beautiful but it is also a sad reminder of the fallen soldiers who gave their lives. The scouts do a wonderful job with their presentations as they talk about specific soldiers. Every hour Taps is played to honor the soldiers.

Honored Contributor

On 5/23/2014 NanaS said:

AND WHILE WE ARE AT IT...........I ABSOLUTELY HATE HEARING ""HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY"" !

There is NOTHING happy about Memorial Day. We are remembering the soldiers that died for this country .

I too cringe when I hear that. Sometimes I'll respond by asking what's so happy about it.

Super Contributor

On 5/24/2014 ValuSkr said:
On 5/23/2014 NanaS said:

I too cringe when I hear that. Sometimes I'll respond by asking what's so happy about it.

I was just going to write this very comment. The day is meant to be a solemn observance of those who fought for our country.

Honored Contributor

I did see some patriotic scarves offered in AM Style and sometimes Dan sells a flag with its own light attached to the pole to illuminate it at night.