New Contributor

Re: Instant Pot TSV, Is it All That?

I love mine.    I think my corn on the cob is way better than boiled on cook top.  Made Tri color quinoa  with vegetables in about 35 mins the other day.  That was with the 10 minute prep.  One of the great things is while it’s cooking, youre cleaning up the kitchen and not stirring or monitoring.   I think oatmeal is easier in my old rice cooker .   But cooking clams was great.  Oh and I pull it out for hard boiled eggs as easy as they are to do in a pot, the thing is..they just peel so perfectly when done in insta pot.    I also love my Korean beef.   I’m not an amazing cook so I like following directions getting everything in there and setting the time.    Alll that said, my husband nearly had a heart attack the first time I did the quick steam release (which is almost always what you use.    Steam hitting the cabinets was no good.    So I now set it up on my cooktop or right next to when using (but cord is not very long so see if you have a plug close) and turn on the vent fan to high every time.   I use the biggest silicone spurttle from a TSV to push that steam escape valve and wave steam over to fan.   If you cook much and think you can try some new tricks then I would get it.   Tons of recipes online.  No need for recipie book.

Super Contributor

@Daysdee  i have a bread machine that has been sitting unused for years. Do you make your bread from scratch or use one of the mixes? I would love to get it out of the closet! Care to,share your favorite recipe or 2?

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweet jeb @Funny about your husband's reaction to the quick release of steam. When i heard it the first time, my Samsung Tablet went skidding across the kitchen floor rendering the tablet screen cracked all over! That was an expensive ro

Honored Contributor

I wanted one this past Christmas so one was gifted to me.  I have never used it.  

I believe there are FB pages dedicated to recipes for the Instant Pot.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva , Just wondering... Why do ya think you haven’t tried It? Thx-

Occasional Contributor

I have had an Instant Pot from the very first one offered, and that was from Amazon years ago!  AND it still works perfectly, it is really my favorite way to cook.  I make cakes and yogurt in mine probably the most.  But I also make the famous Deb Murray dump and go macaroni and cheese or switch it out a bit add beef, noodles, broth, tomato sauce, etc. and in a few minutes dinner is ready.  I ordered the TSV new one coming up and it’s on the way to me.....  The new Instant Pot book is coming too...  I promise, if this new one works like my original Pot you will be very happy.  There are lots of Instant Pot groups with a gazillion recipes all over the internet.

Trusted Contributor

I've had a duo 6 qt since 2015 and LOVE it. Like many others I let it sit in the box for too long because I was intimidated. Then I just took it out and used it after doing the water test and never looked back. I just love the thing. Hard boiled eggs, steel cut oats, soups and stews, yogurt, sweet potatoes, beans, all turn out great. Literally everything has turned out great.

Now I'm tempted to get one that can do a little more, Sous Vide. There's nothing wrong really with what I have, just want to upgrade. Just a couple days ago I learned that one is coming up as a TSV on Sunday, so we'll see what I end up doing.

But really this item is great. I've taken frozen chicken, beef, or salmon and cooked that with greens, veggies, lentils, brown rice. Boom. Dinner inside of an hour from prep to plate or bowl. And so easy to clean!

And since I've cooked marinara with pasta in the Instant Pot I don't want to eat pasta any other way. The flavor is just so much more intense because the sauce goes through the pasta.

Facebook groups are terrific for Instant Pot and so is Pinterest. So you don't really need a cookbook though it's helpful at first for ideas. Just make sure that any recipe you see online that you want to try is meant for an electric pressure cooker. That's important because electric ones don't reach as high a pressure as stovetop ones do, so the timings are different. As you can tell I'm in the YES IT IS ALL THAT camp. Hope this helps. 

Esteemed Contributor

Every time there is an instant pot TSV I'm tempted.  And I don't NEED one, I just think I'd like to have one.

Fortunately the responses here are helping me this time.

I don't need to worry about defrosting something for dinner; I don't make yogurt (although I used to and it was good); I don't eat a lot of rice or pasta; I love my little hard boiled egg cooker; I don't remember the last time I used a pressure cooker (in fact I have one that I've never used); and I have a crock pot (or two). 

There!  I've talked myself out of it again...with your help.

Thank you!

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

I have one and I use it all the time for so many meals and it's just the two of us. However, this price it's not a deal. You can seriously get them at a lower price.

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva , Just wondering... Why do ya think you haven’t tried It? Thx-

@Skyegirl21, I really don't know what to even make in it.  I think now that the weather may be getting cooler, I'll find a recipe for chicken soup and give it a try.