Respected Contributor

I thought this might be a good gift for my son in law to use when he is at work in the winter and his car sits outside all day in the parking lot. 

But I was wondering (for those of you who have one), did you use it all winter or find it more trouble to put on and take off (even though it seems to only take a few minutes) than brushing the snow off with a brush at the end of the work day?  I can see it being really useful in an ice storm but we get more snow than ice. 

Thank you for any input!

Honored Contributor

I bought 1 for my kid at college last year I don't think he used it much, but then someone gave one to my husband and my daughter ended up using it

she thought it was useful, personally I think more for snow  than ice. 

Respected Contributor

The problem I had with those windshield ice protectors is the following:

It's a pain to put on.

It's a pain to take off and don't forget if it's full of snow and ice, you need to clean that off before you fold it back up again.

The concept is great but not for a daily use, maybe if the car is just parked outside and barely used.

That's just me though.

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling  That's kind of what I was thinking. 

Trusted Contributor

We had a mild winter last year in Minnesota, and I only used it twice when I was parked at work.  It was okay.  My husband and I will see if we need it more this year.  Luckily, they are not expensive. 

Regular Contributor

I got one last year but returned it. Used it once...when I put it on it was flurrying, so my windshield was not completely dry. The water underneath spread out and froze. So I had to scrape anyway. 

Regular Contributor

I love mine but the only time I use it is overnight since I park outside . I wouldn't bother using it for snow- just for the ice that builds overnight. I take it off and go!

Valued Contributor

All of my family finds them very helpful.

Honored Contributor

We get ice where I am and the place I park my car is near a set of sprinklers that go off in the middle of the night and then the water from the sprinklers freezes on my windshield. (There are other places to park, but those spaces are much narrower and result in more door dings.) That gets really thick and takes forever to defrost and is even too hard to really scrape effectively. The Frost Guard is a big help with that.

Honored Contributor

I have 2 of them. They work great for us. We live in western WA state so not really alot of snow or ice however we do get frost and we religiously put them on our rigs and what a relief not to have to scrape windshields. Very easy to put them on and take them off. I have the ones from a few years ago.