Respected Contributor

are they kidding?  I know it's heavy but give me a break!  I was considering ordering one for my hubby but no way. 

Honored Contributor

Re: $35 shipping on Masterbuilt

We have to know that we are going to pay for the shipping in some way, no matter how they phrase it.

It would have seemed to make more sense for them to up the price some, and give a very reduced or free shipping to make people feel better about the purchase.

In reality, we would end up paying out the same amount of actual dollars, it's just the perceptions that sometimes pull the plug on making a purchase. If we think we are getting a good deal on shipping (even if they built it back in the price of the unit), we are more likely to hit 'submit'.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Depends as far as I'm concerned.   What's the total price elsewhere? 

I have to assume anyone ordering something like this isn't doing it on impulse.  I'm not buying, so I don't care about this particular item, but I assume OP knows she can buy the product for less elsewhere and I say, go to it if that's true.

Maybe Amazon would ship this for free?

ETA - I wanted to buy a dozen decks of bridge cards the other day when one of the best sites had a little sale.  Shipping more than negated the whole sale -- $7.95 for that box of a dozen.  It's things like that that give me pause.  Sadly, even with that, the total price was better for the card quantity and quality than anywhere else, so even with shipping adding about 50% to the [price, it was a decent deal. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree....it's not the shipping that matters, it's total cost.  Amazon has a similar model with no accessories for $300.  So even with shipping, Q's deal is better.   But if the main concern is free shipping and you don't mind paying a higher price in order to get free shipping, Amazon is an option.

Honored Contributor

My husband just had to have one, so he purchased one locally.  He used it twice and now it is taking up room in our garage.  We have had ours for a few years now.

The food made in it is great with no doubt, but it is a pain in the neck to take outside, set it up and actually smoke something.  It might be good if you have a covered porch and plan to use it often, but otherwise it is a impulse purchase item that your have to store.

I agree that $35 is expensive for shipping and would make me pause too.

Respected Contributor

I think it becomes a bigger deal now that QVC does not refund your original shipping if you return it. 

Honored Contributor

@tucsongalThat makes some sense, but at least 10 years ago, I decided that until the world changes so completely that I have no other choice, I'm not buying anything too heavy for me to carry from any long distance retailer until I'm absolutely sure I won't want to return it --excepting if I receive defective merchandise.

For something like this smoker (which I have zero interest in), I'd shop locally and buy only from some small company willing to deliver and setup.  I'll even pay extra for those services for something I truly want.

Honored Contributor

They have one that's similar online at Wal-Mart for $229 free shipping. They also have one online at Lowe's that looks like it for $249. Neither of these comes with the stand. At least with these you would not have to mess with shipping it back if there was a problem. Easier to return to Lowes or Wal-Mart.

Respected Contributor

The cost on Amazon is about the same, but if you add the stand that's an extra $42.  This also has a few extra features I didn't see on the Lowe's or Amazon site.  Even with the shipping, this is a very good deal.  I rarely support the Q's shipping, but in this case I can't complain.  If you're looking for a good machine this would fit the bill

Respected Contributor

I typically would never buy anything like this online either but hubby has a birthday coming up and after all these years it's getting harder and harder to come up with something to get. And I get tired of him knowing what he's getting so I was considering it. 

We already have a smoker and we do have room for storage but the more I look at this, meh, it's too big. We don't use it all that much.  

I understand about the total cost but I'd never pay that for shipping. I just won't. Not on something available local for basically the same price. But like I said, I don't buy big items online so maybe that's why I was shocked. 

Back to the drawing board on the gift idea 😊