Honored Contributor

Re: so sad: Anthony Bourdain has committed suicide

@LoriLori wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

And now there's someone from Top Chef on CNN and I totally forgot his stint as a judge on Top Chef.  He did so much with his life Smiley Happy

@LoriLori,   He also wrote for HBO's "Treme."   I really liked that show and was so disappointed when it ended.    This is so tragic.    And all the other suicides, and all the people who are living in quiet desperation.    I have far too much personal experience with depression, anxiety, and suicide, and I know it's something hard to discuss or explain.   I hope everyone will use these times to learn more about mental illness and everything associated with it, including the stigmas that still are attached and the lack of support for professionals who can help.   I'm encouraged by all the discussions on the various sub-forums,  especially in Community Chat, and I hope we can be kind and learn as we go.❤️

What a lovely post.  And I do too.  Heart

Unfortunately I was the subject of incredible rudeness and nastiness in Community Chat on the morning of the royal wedding, on that thread.  It was one of my few visits there and I won't go back.  I feel sorry for that person.  But I don't care to post in a place with someone who can't take a little light-heartedness.  We need more of that in this world IMO, not less.

I'm so sorry, @LoriLori.   I post there more than in any other sub-forum.    I know there are some who are harsh, but so many more who aren't -- so many more who are thoughtful and interesting.   I hope you'll reconsider and give "us" a try again.   (((hugs)))❤️   I always enjoy reading your articulate, knowledgeable, informative posts, and I appreciate the importance of humor.   I'll see you around, though, wherever you decide to land.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote: 

@LoriLori  What a shock!   Maybe he had an illness that no one knew of.

I don't know if this was his problem but clinical depression and bipolar depressions are both illnesses.  And deep sadness, while not a clinical problem, is sadly common.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

And now there's someone from Top Chef on CNN and I totally forgot his stint as a judge on Top Chef.  He did so much with his life Smiley Happy

@LoriLori,   He also wrote for HBO's "Treme."   I really liked that show and was so disappointed when it ended.    This is so tragic.    And all the other suicides, and all the people who are living in quiet desperation.    I have far too much personal experience with depression, anxiety, and suicide, and I know it's something hard to discuss or explain.   I hope everyone will use these times to learn more about mental illness and everything associated with it, including the stigmas that still are attached and the lack of support for professionals who can help.   I'm encouraged by all the discussions on the various sub-forums,  especially in Community Chat, and I hope we can be kind and learn as we go.❤️

What a lovely post.  And I do too.  Heart

Unfortunately I was the subject of incredible rudeness and nastiness in Community Chat on the morning of the royal wedding, on that thread.  It was one of my few visits there and I won't go back.  I feel sorry for that person.  But I don't care to post in a place with someone who can't take a little light-heartedness.  We need more of that in this world IMO, not less.

I'm so sorry, @LoriLori.   I post there more than in any other sub-forum.    I know there are some who are harsh, but so many more who aren't -- so many more who are thoughtful and interesting.   I hope you'll reconsider and give "us" a try again.   (((hugs)))❤️   I always enjoy reading your articulate, knowledgeable, informative posts, and I appreciate the importance of humor.   I'll see you around, though, wherever you decide to land.😊

@dooBdooa million likes, a hug and a Heart for your lovely post.  I enjoy posting with you too.  I'm not going back there. 

This person (I'm tempted to say her nick but that would be unkind) reported and had removed, among others, a post where I said I thought the uniform Harry chose made him look, with the hat on, like a locomotive engineer. 

And a few others like that, some not even witty just observational, and the harpy screamed in all caps that I was destroying her experience of the royal wedding and ruining her time and she and her minions had most of my posts removed as well as ones from other people saying they were enjoying me!!!

(I love Meghan and Harry and I'm standing by my opinion about Harry with the hat on LOL.  God forbid I ever lose my sense of humor I will be worth nothing.)

Isn't that incredible?  Not going back there.  But I'll see you around here and look forward to it and when I watch Treme I'll post to you Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo  @CANDLEQUEEN @Skididdy@SeaMaiden @mousiegirl @newname0 @Mizmac @beckyb1012  @homedecor1

If you haven't read his book "Kitchen Confidential" I highly recommend it and I also think it would make a great book to listen to on Audible or whatever because it's so conversational and real, like him.

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori, Thank you for the suggestion.  I just asked my husband if he knows of the book and he does...he has read it ...borrowed it to our nephew months ago ironicly.  We will get it back and I will read it for sure.  The things I have read about him today were quite of an amazing man.

ALSO, I believe CNN tonight at 10PM If I am correct on time, is having a special on him.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Skididdy.  Because you said that I just put on CNN and they had a crisis counselor on.  And they promoted the special you talked of, "Remembering Anthony Bourdain."  I'll watch.  You'll love the book!

Honored Contributor

OMG, I love what his dear friend Tom Colicchio tweeted;

"RIP doubtful.  Tony's restless spirit will roam the earth in search of justice, truth and a great bowl of noodles."

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@newname0 wrote:

He started on the Travel Channel and then switched to CNN.  I never could figure out why he did that.  IMO the schedule was rough.

@newname0, bigger budget, larger audience, you have no idea if the schedule was rough, he seemed to have incredible stamina.  And enthusiasm.

The suicide rate among creative people is higher than average.  Throughout history artists, writers, etc. let's include chefs, fashion designers.  McQueen, L'Wren Scott, Kate Spade.  Jim Carrey's girlfriend.  Robin Williams.  Etc. etc. etc.  Tony.

It can be planned or it can be a snap decision.  We never know if in the last seconds the person regrets it.  

Anthony addressed why he left Travel Channel for CNN in his blog.  Travel Channel had used his name and image to sell products without his consent, and in violation of prior legal agreements. You can read the complete blog here:  http://anthonybourdain.tumblr.com/post/35577815503/fighting-mad or just google his blog.

I read "Kitchen Confidential" when it was first published, and loved, loved, loved it. I haven't read any of his other books.  I've loved his shows, and have always respected him.  I was at work yesterday when one of my co-workers loudly exclaimed (in our somewhat quiet office) what had happened, shortly after it was released to news outlets.  She was just so shocked and saddened, as it seems everyone is.  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

@I like celery wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@newname0 wrote:

He started on the Travel Channel and then switched to CNN.  I never could figure out why he did that.  IMO the schedule was rough.

@newname0, bigger budget, larger audience, you have no idea if the schedule was rough, he seemed to have incredible stamina.  And enthusiasm.

The suicide rate among creative people is higher than average.  Throughout history artists, writers, etc. let's include chefs, fashion designers.  McQueen, L'Wren Scott, Kate Spade.  Jim Carrey's girlfriend.  Robin Williams.  Etc. etc. etc.  Tony.

It can be planned or it can be a snap decision.  We never know if in the last seconds the person regrets it.  

Anthony addressed why he left Travel Channel for CNN in his blog.  Travel Channel had used his name and image to sell products without his consent, and in violation of prior legal agreements. You can read the complete blog here:  http://anthonybourdain.tumblr.com/post/35577815503/fighting-mad or just google his blog.

I read "Kitchen Confidential" when it was first published, and loved, loved, loved it. I haven't read any of his other books.  I've loved his shows, and have always respected him.  I was at work yesterday when one of my co-workers loudly exclaimed (in our somewhat quiet office) what had happened, shortly after it was released to news outlets.  She was just so shocked and saddened, as it seems everyone is.  

Thanks so much, @I like celery, for providing the facts.  Love facts.  And yes, loved "Kitchen Confidential," ordered a new copy of it yesterday and the follow-up, I too read it when it came out.  Been too long. 

Honored Contributor

@I like celery wrote:

@I like celery   thank you for that link. What an enlightening article.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.