Honored Contributor

Re: "THE APARTMENT" JACK LEMMON, SHIRLEY MACLAINE FRIDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I have heard Shirleys acceptance speeches for awards, she always thanks both of her Jacks, Lemmon and Nicholson for all their support thru the years. she also had great rapport with Sinatra. 

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

"Shut up and deal!" One of the best closing lines in a movie ever! Great movie and great chemistry between Jack Lemmon & Shirley Maclaine. Same in "Irma La Douce", both directed by Billy Wilder.

The film's classic last line was thought up by the writers at the last minute on-set.
Honored Contributor

In light of the Epstein trial, I found myself being highly critical of the story. The premise is cute, but it was demeaning.

Honored Contributor

Very good point, @AuntG .   And the way director Billy Wilder shapes the material doesn't help.  Although as clever and talented as can be, his films often have a rather cold subtext, seeing people as exploiters or pawns, in a sense....

Honored Contributor

I never saw it.  So when I got to this thread, they already aired it.  Just for the heck of it, I googled the title in Amazon.  There is was free to watch.  So I watched it!  Great movie.  I really like Jack Lemmon & Shirly McClaine.  There are a whole bunch of movies on Amazon Prime.  Am planning to watch lots of movies on Prime.