Honored Contributor

"HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE" LAUREN BACALL MARILYN MONROE TUESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

howtomarryamillionaire1953.78631.2.jpg

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "How to Marry a Millionaire"  Betty Grable, Lauren Bacall, Marilyn Monroe, William Powell, David Wayne, Cameron Mitchell, Rory Calhoun, Fred Clark.

How-to-Marry-a-Millionaire-William-Powell-Bacall-Grable-Monroe.png

Sparkling, madcap comedy which always brings cheer and lifts spirits.   Three glamorous New York models snag a fancy apartment in hopes of luring men they deem worthy to date and marry.  They do meet men, but some of their romantic schemes go spectacularly off-track...

How-to-Marry-a-Millionaire-inside.jpg

The highly talented cast knew how to make the most of the more absurd moments of this beguiling farce.  Light entertainment at its best--  giggles abound.  Great production values too.

_methode_times_prodmigration_web_bin_734aa2e0-9962-32ce-97fa-273133a6a7b0.jpg 

Valued Contributor

Re: "HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE" LAUREN BACALL MARILYN MONROE TUESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TC

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

howtomarryamillionaire1953.78631.2.jpg

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "How to Marry a Millionaire"  Betty Grable, Lauren Bacall, Marilyn Monroe, William Powell, David Wayne, Cameron Mitchell, Rory Calhoun, Fred Clark.

How-to-Marry-a-Millionaire-William-Powell-Bacall-Grable-Monroe.png

Sparkling, madcap comedy which always brings cheer and lifts spirits.   Three glamorous New York models snag a fancy apartment in hopes of luring men they deem worthy to date and marry.  They do meet men, but some of their romantic schemes go spectacularly off-track...

How-to-Marry-a-Millionaire-inside.jpg

The highly talented cast knew how to make the most of the more absurd moments of this beguiling farce.  Light entertainment at its best--  giggles abound.  Great production values too.

_methode_times_prodmigration_web_bin_734aa2e0-9962-32ce-97fa-273133a6a7b0.jpg 

~~~~~~~~~~

@Oznell  THANKS for this "heads up!"  I love, love this movie!!  It's repeated several, upcoming times.

On it's heals, on the channel, is "There's no Business Like Show Business" with Star Cast!

Enjoy!!

There's No Business Like Show Business movie poster.jpg

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Honored Contributor

Re: "HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE" LAUREN BACALL MARILYN MONROE TUESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TC

I will have to check out who did the casting for this movie.

What a combination of characters and they worked so well. Who would have guessed.

Lauren Bacall, Betty Grable and Marilyn Monroe would work so well. But they did,

And the men too. William Powell, Rory Calhoun, Fred Clark, David Wayne and Cameron Mitchell, what an eclectic group. Guess that is what made the movie so much fun.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Grable and Monroe were under contract to Fox at the time so they were assigned to the picture.   Hiring freelancer Bacall was genius.

Grable was basically going out at Fox while Monroe's star was rising.   Insiders predicted a battle between the two, which never materialized.

Betty is reported to have left Marilyn a note saying "Go and get yours honey!  I've had mine!"

Honored Contributor

This is the type of movie I turn to when I need something light, simple and entertaining.  I see too many dark movies, dramas, horrors and I know when it's time for change in TV watching.  How to Marry A Millionaire has all the ingredients to escape to, fun, smiles and chuckles!  Great casting and a mood pick me up!!!!!  

Trusted Contributor

This kind of film was Marilyn's forté, how unfortunate she got involved with the Strasbergs.

Honored Contributor

Her gifts really did seem to be in the realm of comedy, didn't they, @BoopOMatic ?  She could be funny seemingly without even trying, even in early, tiny roles like the showgirl that George Sanders is ushering around in "All About Eve". 

David Wayne is very deft at comedy, and is somewhat underrated, I think.   He's a hilarious foil for her in this-- love the airplane scene they have together...

Esteemed Contributor

hmm3outsideyes.jpg

Honored Contributor

Wow, that is a stunning picture of the three of them, @Johnnyeager !   Shows some of the cute, 'ensemble chemistry" they had too.

Honored Contributor

I have it recorded and watch when I really need a giggle.  My husband watched it with me the last time Heart and enjoyed it.

I also have the 7 Year Itch recorded.  That's the one where she lives upstairs from a man whose wife went away and she hangs with him in his apartment?  If it's the one where her dress blows up standing above the grate, I don't remember that part.  I'll have to watch it again....

She was sumpin else....wasn't she?