Honored Contributor

"DEADLINE USA" HUMPHREY BOGART, KIM HUNTER 1:30 A.M. EASTERN TUESDAY TCM

[ Edited ]

1:30 a.m. Eastern Tuesday (or in the wee hours post- midnight on Monday, however you want to look at it)

"Deadline USA"--   Excellent 1952 newspaper drama.   Bogie is an honest editor facing the selling of his paper by publisher Ethel Barrymore.  Compounding that heartache, is the disturbing murder of the fur-clad young mistress of a local gangster which must be investigated.

Bogie's also carrying a big torch for his ex-wife, (the brooding theater actress Kim Hunter-- if only she had made more films).  While he was being a crusading editor, their marriage took a big fat beating and she got out...

This is tough, compelling film making, with a terrific, punchy script.  Which you would expect, since Richard Brooks directed.

P.S.  If there aren't any alerts from me for a while, it's my goofy computer acting up.  My touch pad thing keeps sticking, my own mouse won't work, and I'm limping through this thread on my son's mouse!  But hubby thinks the whole caboodle needs to go to repair, so I might be out of cyber commision for awhile.  But it's all kind of sporadic, so if I can check in, I will...   See you at the movies, gang!

Honored Contributor

Re: "DEADLINE USA" HUMPHREY BOGART, KIM STANLEY 1:30 A.M. EASTERN TUESDAY TCM

Honored Contributor

Re: "DEADLINE USA" HUMPHREY BOGART, KIM HUNTER 1:30 A.M. EASTERN TUESDAY TCM

Will try and catch it. I had caught bits and pieces of the movie when it was shown on the Fox Movie Channel. Never saw it from beginning to end.

PS - Today is Robert Montgomery day. I just caught the end of Private Lives. Wish I saw more of the movie. 

Hope your computer is fixed. You don't realize how much you use it until it isn't working.

Respected Contributor

I will miss your posts and eagerly await your return.

Honored Contributor

Fingers crossed the computer and you will be back soon.  At least before the next noir presentation needs your input, @Oznell

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@Oznell

I know I’ve seen this movie  but, can’t remember  anything specific, even with your description!  

With your teaser regarding Kim Hunter, “if only she had made more films”, I had to check out IMDb.   Of course, we all know Streetcar; I was reminded of the Noir “When Strangers Marry” and I think I’ve seen “The Seventh Victim”.  

What I didn’t realize was how much television she had done.  So many theater tv shows from the late 40’s into the early 60’s.  

She guested on several tv series,  including Rockford Files, Ironsides, and twice on “Mannix”!    She also played Nola on “Edge of Night” in 1980 and was on “As the World Turns” in 1997.  

Wishing you the best of luck with your computer repairs.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks, gang, I'm getting it to work only by using my son's mouse, which tends to limit my time on the computer!

Not sure when we'll be taking the whole thing in for repairs, but at least so far I can get it to work with his mouse, although even that only works sometimes.  Weird.

Didn't get to catch the "Torchy Blane" series on TCM today.  I really like Glenda Farrell as a resourceful "girl reporter".   TCM seems to be going all out with running popular film series' of the Thirties and Forties right now...