Honored Contributor

My DH & I both watched it last night (DH is a former AF pilot) and both really enjoyed it, excellent movie, highly recommend it!

@MalteseMomma, why would the movie "Sully" be about the passengers?  It was about the heroic pilot that saved those "passengers" life!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

My DH & I both watched it last night (DH is a former AF pilot) and both really enjoyed it, excellent movie, highly recommend it!

@MalteseMomma, why would the movie "Sully" be about the passengers?  It was about the heroic pilot that saved those "passengers" life!!!!!

I did not mean it should be about the passengers.I just ment Sully was a hero and it did not go so well in the movie............darn, I would like to have seen how those passeneres lived to go on ,because Sully saved there lives  I was put off by the Airline saying he could have done better............

Honored Contributor

We saw it when it was first released.  I hated the way they portrayed the inquisition.  I've read they never doubted the pilot's and co-pilot's choices that day. The hearings were routine.

Respected Contributor

Re: movie sully

[ Edited ]

@lulu2 wrote:

We saw it when it was first released.  I hated the way they portrayed the inquisition.  I've read they never doubted the pilot's and co-pilot's choices that day. The hearings were routine.

The movie is based on the book Sully Sullenberger wrote about the events and what transpired afterwards. It's the untold story and IMO that's why it's so interesting. He provided insights and information from his point of view. The way the NTSB was portrayed in the movie is how he feels they treated him. It seems what you read did not come directly from Sully and most likely from the NTSB. It's a tell all from his point of view exactly due to all the misinformation out there.

I just saw the movie last night. I understand they have to do an investigation but it becomes obvious that the NTSB is not being transparent. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NycVixen wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

The movie is based on the book Sully Sullenberger wrote about the events and what transpired afterwards. It's the untold story and IMO that's why it's so interesting. He provided insights and information from his point of view. The way the NTSB was portrayed in the movie is how he feels they treated him. It seems what you read did not come directly from Sully and most likely from the NTSB. It's a tell all from his point of view exactly due to all the misinformation out there.

I just saw the movie last night. I understand they have to do an investigation but it becomes obvious that the NTSB is not being transparent. 

@NycVixen

Interesting.  I had read (here?) that the squabbling back and forth after the fact (of a safe landing) was just to *add* to the storyline.

So this is Sully's take on how it was handled?

I've never seen the movie because I didn't see it as a true true story because of the hearings, etc.

I don't like when they add fiction to an actual event (e.g. Titanic, Pearl Harbor) so I've never watched.

Sully's perspective is important so I would consider it staying true to the story. 

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

@NycVixen

Interesting.  I had read (here?) that the squabbling back and forth after the fact (of a safe landing) was just to *add* to the storyline.

I've never seen the movie because I didn't see it as a true true story because of the hearings, etc.

I don't like when they add fiction to an actual event (e.g. Titanic, Pearl Harbor) so I've never watched.

Sully's perspective is important so I would consider it staying true to the story. 

Thanks.

@Lucky Charm  Yes, the whole movie is from his perspective and is based on his book, "Highest Duty: My Search for What Really Matters". 

I don't want to give any details away but the movie makes this very clear in a few ways. Watch the whole thing including the end credits. Clint Eastwood's direction of the film is worthy of praise, the cinematography is striking and Tom Hank's performance is one of his best. 

A great film. It's very eye opening and I learned a lot; what you often think happened is not accurate.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Thanks.

@Lucky Charm
I've read and saw interviews, the hearings were not contentious as shown.  They were considered routine follow-up.  Sully and his co-pilot were not second guessed as portrayed in the movie.  It was added to the the story because without it, there would not have been much of a storyline.  We all knew what happened from the many news reports. There had to be conflict to keep the movie interesting.

Honored Contributor

I have a short attention span, and rarely watch movies, but enjoyed watching this one.   Seeing someone so skilled and well trained in their job handle such an emergency calm, cool, and collected was very impressive.   The man did his job, and never lost sight of the safety of his passengers.   

As a hospital employee, we had safety training and drills every year, to prepare for disasters.  I knew my role, and was always prepared; never had to pull out the disaster policies to make sure I was on track.   Sully's intense training was evident in his response, and that is the very best you can hope for when your life is in someone else's hands!   

Respected Contributor

Very good.  Wish I had seen it at the movies on the big screen.