Honored Contributor

Re: anyone see bohemian rapshosody?

The reviews I read were not good. If you're going to portray the life of a deceased person, it should be accurate otherwise it's an insult and shameful. 

Respected Contributor

I am seeing it tonight.  I am looking forward.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I plan on seeing the movie soon. I am a long time mega fan of the group, all equally as talented as Freddie was. They ALL wrote songs that became hits, including John Deacon who retired from the group. I am glad Sasha Cohen didn't end up playing Freddie. I much prefer the guy who did...saw him interviewed with the other cast members this week. The remaining band members are consummate musicians. I simply do NOT believe the garbage that is being thrown around since the movie was released. Freddie may have been their over the top front man, but Queen is ALL of them, not just one man.  I have never read anything personal about them that was derogatory. It may be worthy to note that Freddie kept his sexuality on the downlow for a very long time. He was bisexual, but the love of his life was a woman, and he left her in death pretty much everything, even though she had parted company with him. He was ill for quite some time, but did not tell his friends and band members until late in the game. I've seen a real documentary on them, with real footage and real commentaries by those who were there. Those who were consultants on the movie did NOT want to make all it about the illness and death, but more the phenomenon of the music which lives on today for new generations. If you've seen them on tour with Adam Lambert as lead singer, you realize how timeless their multi-genre contributions are.

Honored Contributor

I have read about him being with a woman and leaving her almost everything he had. I do love their music and still play it. I haven't seen the movie.

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo.  I saw the movie this evening, and I loved it!  The music was spectacular, and Freddie's palpable loneliness and sadness (along with Mary's) was illustrated to perfection by the actors. I found my eyes tearing up more than a few times during the film. Malek was extraordinary as Freddie, and it almost seemed like someone stole the very hair off the top of Brian May's head so they could clone the actor who portrayed him in the movie.  Could Gwilym Lee have possibly looked any more like Brian May?  I don't think so!   I need to crack open my collection of their CD's again so I can enjoy them just like I did years ago as a teenager.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Will be going to see this next week..Really looking foreword to it!.Love love love Queen.

Dont know if you all have heard this,, i guess Freddie wrote bohemian rhapsody about himself as a coming out song..I believe it and i can understand most of the lyrics now that i know this..He had quite the battle going on inside him.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3288070/How-Freddie-Mercury-came-baffling-lyrics-Bohem...

Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody, released on October 31, 1975, has consistently featured at the top of ‘all-time greatest’ song lists, and sold more than 2.5 million records in the UK alone – twice reaching No1.

But Queen’s flamboyant frontman and songwriter Freddie Mercury steadfastly refused to explain his lyrics to the song. His only utterance was that it was ‘about relationships’. His bandmates, too, have remained tight-lipped.

But now, on the eve of its 40th anniversary, Mercury’s biographer Lesley-Ann Jones has revealed its hidden message – a confession by Freddie that he was gay.

Lyricist Sir Tim Rice knew Freddie well and he agrees with her explanation. ‘It’s fairly obvious to me this was Freddie’s coming-out song,’ said Sir Tim. ‘I’ve spoken to Roger Taylor [the band’s drummer] about it. There is a very clear message in it. This is Freddie admitting that he is gay.

‘In the line “Mama, I just killed a man” he’s killed the old Freddie, his former image,’ says Sir Tim.

‘With “Put a gun against his head, pulled my trigger, now he’s dead” he’s dead, the straight person he was originally. He’s destroyed the man he was trying to be, and now this is him, trying to live with the new Freddie.

‘“I see a little silhouetto of a man” – that’s him, still being haunted by what he’s done, and what he is.

More at link.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw it Thursday night and hadn’t realized it wasn’t rated R! I had just assumed it would be and I was concerned that it would be full of drug use and sex. Not that I would have cared, but, I was happy to report to my co-worker (who planned on taking her daughters) that it was appropriate for a large range of ages (only kissing, one “f” word, etc.)
Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:
I saw it Thursday night and hadn’t realized it wasn’t rated R! I had just assumed it would be and I was concerned that it would be full of drug use and sex. Not that I would have cared, but, I was happy to report to my co-worker (who planned on taking her daughters) that it was appropriate for a large range of ages (only kissing, one “f” word, etc.)

@Alter Ego.  I read they made the movie for a pg rating purposely so more people would go see it. It worked.

Honored Contributor

We do not go to movie theaters anymore and will wait for this one to show up on Netflix or HULU.

However, I did read that Rami Malek did a fantastic job, and although I'm not into award show there are rumblings that an Oscar is in his future.

I like Rami Malek very much and his rise from his role in Mr. Robot surely introduced him to such heavier roles.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3. I am not one for award shows (don't watch them), either, but I was so impressed by Rami Malek's portrayal of Freddie that I believe he deserves an Oscar for his incredible performance.  He captured Freddie's essence, having never met Freddie, which is not something that is easy to accomplish with such a larger-than-life and complex personality.  I felt so many emotions watching the actor's facial expressions and listening to his line delivery, from exhilaratingly happy highs to the deepest, devastating lows.  Rami was riveting. I am going back to see the movie again, and I will be purchasing it when the DVD becomes available.