Honored Contributor

Re: What Is An Underrated Movie

This one goes back a way, but That Cold Day in the Park directed by Robert Altman and starring Sandy Dennis. Odd, suspenseful, compelling and definitely quirky. Never went much of anywhere, but a good film.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  Not really Christmas movies, but we always watch them when we get together: The Sandlot and The Burbs. We live in a cul-de-sac, and I can't even tell you how much we can relate to The Burbs.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Jordan2  Not really Christmas movies, but we always watch them when we get together: The Sandlot and The Burbs. We live in a cul-de-sac, and I can't even tell you how much we can relate to The Burbs.

@PA Mom-mom I didn't necessarily mean just holiday movies, any movie. 

Valued Contributor

We watched a movie on Thanskgiving called Allied.  It stars Brad Pitt and was out a few years ago.  Not good reviews but we all enjoyed it.  Suspenseful spy movie.  Is she or isn't she a spy?  Brad was very good.

Valued Contributor

Fracture - there are several wtih that name, but the one with Anthony Hopkins

Fracture Official Trailer - YouTube

Valued Contributor

We  enjoyed watching Midway with Dennis Quaid and "The Impossible". Both are about true stories.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

A movie that comes to mind, A River Runs Through It.

Directed by Robert Redford, and staring  Brad Pitt,

it is  based on a memoir, and the setting is Missoula, Montana.

Filmed  in the early 1990s, and I remember just loving it.

Esteemed Contributor

One movie that I enjoyed but isn't well known: "Electric Dreams." It's a 1984 science fiction/fantasy about a romantic triangle involving  a man, woman and sentient computer. Stars Lenny Van Dohlen and Virginia Madison. it's filmed similar to a music video and has a great musical score thoughout. 

I also liked "Cannery Row." goodmovie, but the book was even better. Love John Steinbeck's writing, anyway. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

A Room With A View is one of my favorite films. There are some great British actors in it, including Maggie Smith. It's one of the most romantic movies I've ever seen, yet not a chick flick. I've seen it several times and always get goosebumps at one point, which I won't spoil for you. The cinematography is beautiful, and the scenes in Italy are gorgeous.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I think "The Devil Wears Prada" is underrated.  It is often 'written off' as just another 'chick flick', but I think the acting is admirable and it has wonderful cinematography. 

That movie is one of my DH's favorites!!!  For me the only memorable part is when Streep is describing the color blue!!