Honored Contributor

Crossing Delancy Again on TCM 12/1

9:15 pm ET Dec. 1st. Turner Classic Movie

Love this charming rom com with Bubbie.

Honored Contributor

Re: Crossing Delancy Again on TCM 12/1

[ Edited ]

Love Bubby !!!  I tell the young people in my office to call me Bubby !!

Honored Contributor

One of my all-time favorite movies! 

It warms me all over.

Honored Contributor

"Something to save."

"Wooed? What's wooed?"

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sam Posner, the name of the character who is the male love interest, is simply charming -- and this movie charms in the same way.

Loved level-headed (and innately intelligent) Sam's response when meeting up with Isabelle Grossman's (the female love interest) snooty "intellectual" friends:

Lionel: [greeting Sam at the Saturday gathering]  Poetry?

Sam Posner: Pickles.

Sam was a well-educated guy but decided to take over his dad's business of selling pickles.  Ah, but he was a romantic.  Give me the pickle guy any ol' day!

ETA:  ...and yes, Bubbie was a sweetheart.  We should all have such a grandmother who loves us that much and realizes who is best for our heart.

Honored Contributor

Reminder this is on tonight.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pearley,

Thank you for the reminder.  Loving this film as I do and knowing that I am not always in command of my TV, I had set the movie to record.  There was no way I was going to allow this gem to escape me.  

Enhancing this airing was the discussion of Isabelle's being torn between two worlds and different sets of values:  How can she reconcile living life as a modern (NYC) woman with the roles and rules of a traditional Jewish woman?  Matchmakers?  Fuhgeddaboutit!

Those of us from different ethnic backgrounds and who have experienced this tension of being pulled in two directions, cherish this movie, I believe.

The discussion between Jacqueline Stewart and Penelope Spheeris regarding Isabelle, her Bubbie and her love interests certainly enriched my understanding (and I've seen the movie several times). 

I watched it for a bit today as my treat for tending to chores and will continue later in the day.  Can't wait to hear what else Ms. Stewart and Ms. Spheeris have to say about the full viewing experience.  The movie is such a full pleasure for me, though, even without a thoughtful discussion garnishing it. 

Director Joan Micklin Silver did a brilliant job on this flick.  Bless her!

Honored Contributor

@golding76. I never tire of this film, loved watching it again last night.

I really enjoyed Stewart's commentary, Penelope's S's not so much. She seemed rather full of herself, so her demeanor put me off.  Also there were several questions of Stewart's that she didn't answer until she said what SHE wanted to say first. She just struck me as too self-important. Stewart though was knowledgeable and delightful and asked very good questions.

Honored Contributor

Jeroen Krabbe is 76 yrs old today (per my local newspaper's "born on this date).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pearley,

Last night I finally grabbed golden moments in which to immerse myself in the remainder of this film.  (I'd been craving to finish viewing it, but the moment had to be just right for me to continue this very special film.)  My experience was, as always, deeply satisfying  -- so much so that I've vowed never to knowingly delete it from my library of saved films.

Before I close on my post, I must write that Reizl Bozyk as the "Bubbie" was exquisite.  Could there have been a better choice cast in this critical role?  I can't think of anyone other than Thelma Ritter (and I don't think she could have achieved Bozyk's heights as Bubbie).  She was sweet, loving and yet quick to to make an acerbic comment, as needed.  Bozyk and Sylvia Miles (Mrs. Mandelbaum) were a stitch together.  

The particular ethnic flavor brought to this production was just right -- not cloying or condescending.  I speak as an outsider, of course.

I was in a sweet place when the film finished last night.  (And the remainder of the conversation between Stewart and Spheeris sputtered, I thought.  Not much on the tail end.  Anything worthwhile came at the beginning.  You are right about Spheeris.  I think she must take her kinship with noted Greek director Costa-Gavras too much to heart.  Spheeris, I just read, is half-Greek.  Mom is an American of Irish descent.)

ETA:  Thelma Ritter was dream-casting as she was dead for years when this movie came out.