Honored Contributor

@I like celerywrote:

@winamac1wrote:

The father was a disgusting piece of work.  He most definitely mentally abused his wife, degraded her and more than likely was the cause of her issues.  She obviously had no self esteem due to how he belittled her.  

He probably physically abused her too.  Giving Andrew the master bedroom was just beyond strange.  

That woman was a martyr and appeared to do the best she could.  I'm sure she wondered how Pete got the money, but he was such a great con that she may have thought he was the best stock broker at the firm.   Father and son were both masterminds of con and manipulation.  

@winamac1  I agree with most of your post, but remember in the second to the last episode, after the FBI came to their house, she said something to Andrew about how she had known, but didn't say anything?  I think she was so terrified of Modesto, and knew she couldn't change things, so she just resigned herself to being silent. 

I think he definitely physically abused her. There was the scene where he pushed her to the ground, after she became upset with him for buying Andrew a car, and also the scene of him knocking her over in the bedroom when he was trying to escape the FBI. I'm sure there was much more.  I can't help but feel badly for her.  I read something online that mentioned she lived off of public assistance after Andrew killed himself.  I've wondered if her other children could have helped her.  I'm sure their lives were difficult, too, but I find myself wondering if they could have helped her afterwards.  Smiley Sad

She probably had her suspisions celery, but she wasn't "all there" anyway.  I do think you are right--he abused her.  He was a horrible person.  I , too, wonder if the other children could have helped her!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Re: Versace finale 3/21

[ Edited ]

From what I have read it was a pretty accurate film. Andrew got the car at 16 (not 11) but all the crazy childhood spoiled insanity and neglect of the siblings seems to be true. I can't believe his siblings didn't run away.

I think Modesto sexually abused Andrew but I didn't see that written anywhere.

Respected Contributor

I want to read the book that this series was based on.

It was such an excellent series.  I had no idea that Andrew's father was like that at all.  What a horrible man.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36wrote:

It was such an excellent series.  I had no idea that Andrew's father was like that at all.  What a horrible man.

@Bri36I realize you may already know this, but the book it's based on is called Vulgar Favors by Maureen Orr. I've also read that several of Andrew's siblings wrote a book called Andrew Cunanan An American Tragedy, but I have no idea if it's still in print. It was written back in 1997.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4wrote:

@Bri36wrote:

@Bri36I realize you may already know this, but the book it's based on is called Vulgar Favors by Maureen Orr. I've also read that several of Andrew's siblings wrote a book called Andrew Cunanan An American Tragedy, but I have no idea if it's still in print. It was written back in 1997.

I am interested in the siblings book. I wonder what kind of life they have had taking into consideration how they were raised. I think I would change my name if I were them.

Honored Contributor

I can't find this book for sale. If anyone does find it please post where it can be ordered from.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@DREAMONwrote:

@colliemom4wrote:

@Bri36wrote:

I am interested in the siblings book. I wonder what kind of life they have had taking into consideration how they were raised. I think I would change my name if I were them.

@DREAMON  I was wondering the same thing about them. Maybe they were just trying to make money by writing the book?

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4wrote:

@DREAMONwrote:

@colliemom4wrote:

@Bri36wrote:

@DREAMON  I was wondering the same thing about them. Maybe they were just trying to make money by writing the book?

colliemom4,

I bet they needed the money because you know their disgusting father didn't give them anything. I wonder how Modesto treated the other kids before Andrew was born. 

Maybe the book will be republished now that attention has been drawn to them again.

Honored Contributor

@DREAMONwrote:

@colliemom4wrote:

@DREAMONwrote:

@colliemom4wrote:

@Bri36wrote:

colliemom4,

I bet they needed the money because you know their disgusting father didn't give them anything. I wonder how Modesto treated the other kids before Andrew was born. 

Maybe the book will be republished now that attention has been drawn to them again.

@DREAMON  I know Andrew was the youngest and only one that went to a private school. I have a strong feeling the other kids had a hard time with the life they were living. It would be a shock if they didn't seeing as the parents were both so unstable. I also hope the book is republished because I'd like to check it out.

Respected Contributor

@DREAMONwrote:
wrote:

@DREAMONwrote:
wrote:

@Bri36wrote:

colliemom4,

@DREAMON  I agree.  I know their mother had to rely on public assistance, after Modesto fled the country, leaving the entire family without a home, and penniless. Hopefully, whatever monies they received from the book, also, helped their mother.  Very sad. 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥