Honored Contributor

Re: The Springfield Three-Disappeared

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've watched all of those ID People Mag Investigates shows. Most of them have been very good.

@SilleeMee  What I have always disliked about the People Investigates shows, is that yeah, right People "investigates."   IMO what People does is present the case as law enfocement has investigated it and makes money off the work that law enforcement has done.  Yes, People reported the story but I sincerely doubt how much People "investigated it" in addition to the law enforcement investigation.  People needs to give credit where credit is due - to law enforcement.  And then People makes even more money off the story (than making the show for I.D. ) by featuring it in the magazine that week.  People = Profits not investigation.  

OK, off my soap box now.  Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I watched this program and I'd never heard of this case before, either.

I think it may have been the woman's son.  HIs motive would be the money.  He was taken out of his mother's will and everything was given to her daughter (his sister).  But since she is gone, too, I wonder what happened to the woman's assets?  And, he didn't have a verifiable alibi.  I don't trust "lie detector" tests, but the police sure seem to.  He passed and they didn't investigate him any more.  His behavior in the months following would have been very telling.

Very sad story.

Respected Contributor

@DottieBlue  There have been many tips over the years and the police always investigate to no avail.

I hope one day they will find out what happened but there was not one bit of evidence in their home or cars.

Honored Contributor

@VenturaHighway wrote:

@DottieBlue  There have been many tips over the years and the police always investigate to no avail.

I hope one day they will find out what happened but there was not one bit of evidence in their home or cars.

@VenturaHighway   Well, we have seen over the years how what didn't used to be viable evidence can be, i.e. DNA. So many of the cold cases have been solved by DNA.  So who knows what the future brings and how this case may be solved one day.  The "not one bit of evidence" could eventually be evidence.   Even in the early days of DNA analysis, before it got extremely sophisticated, there didn't used to be "enough" DNA and now that can use so very little of it, plus there is ancestry DNA used for detection etc.  I'm not saying the solution has to be in DNA, just that crime detection has gotten ...and gets more and more...advanced since the time of this crime. So there is still hope.