Trusted Contributor

Not being a fan of reality TV, I keep saying I'm not going to watch this show, but every time they have a new season, I end up watching. I'm really confused, though, as to what happens to the people who win, as I think the last one who ended up with a show is the southern lady (can't remember her name, but she's blonde). I did like last years winner, Eddie Jackson, but he was only on for a few times (a stupid program where he was just an MC & didn't even cook). I guess I don't get it. There is probably no guarantee that the winner will end up with a program, but it seems like such a waste to go through the competition and then end up with nothing. OK. Rant over. Thanks for letting me vent.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Next Food Network Star

They get a show that's on at 6am Sunday morning or something equally as stupid.  DDD's is on for hours a day here, not sure why they can't have one of Guys many slots.

Trusted Contributor

@joannecha wrote:

Not being a fan of reality TV, I keep saying I'm not going to watch this show, but every time they have a new season, I end up watching. I'm really confused, though, as to what happens to the people who win, as I think the last one who ended up with a show is the southern lady (can't remember her name, but she's blonde). I did like last years winner, Eddie Jackson, but he was only on for a few times (a stupid program where he was just an MC & didn't even cook). I guess I don't get it. There is probably no guarantee that the winner will end up with a program, but it seems like such a waste to go through the competition and then end up with nothing. OK. Rant over. Thanks for letting me vent.

I don't watch often but I think the one you are referring to is Damaris Phillips.  She had a show on the food network called Southern at Heart for about 2 1/2 yrs.  It was cancelled earlier this year.   I think most of the winners have had some form of show for at least a short time other than Guy Fieri who seems to be the most "famous" of all of the winners. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think Eddie really had a cooking show, per se. He had a BBQ competition show. He actually just finished a second series for a kid BBQ champion which was pretty good.

The winners occasionally get trotted out to perform on other competition shows like Chopped or to act as judges on Guys Grocery Games. I wonder if people just don't watch many cooking shows given Pinterest and YouTube? I do admit to liking Valerie Bertinelli's show when I watch it - many of the network stars are already known versus this one shot to fame show.

Anyways, this Sunday's show was horrible horrible horrible in who they kept and who they eliminated. I honestly may stop watching until Ana is booted out!!
Honored Contributor

I really liked Damaris Phillips's show, and I'm sorry that it's gone.Meanwhile Patrica Heaton and Valerie Bertinilli , who are not chefs, have shows. I think that Food Network has lost its  way.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

OP again. I do love cooking shows when they actually show you how to cook, give tips, and actually cook (Ina Garten, Martha's shows on PBS). So much now is tied into celebrity & gabbing that there's so little cooking involved. I have actually saved an Ina episode where she's making a pie crust, as I'm still lousey at that particular skill. Anyway, I don't know why it's even called Food Network anymore, as it's either all reality TV or DDD & not much else.

Trusted Contributor

@joannecha wrote:

OP again. I do love cooking shows when they actually show you how to cook, give tips, and actually cook (Ina Garten, Martha's shows on PBS). So much now is tied into celebrity & gabbing that there's so little cooking involved. I have actually saved an Ina episode where she's making a pie crust, as I'm still lousey at that particular skill. Anyway, I don't know why it's even called Food Network anymore, as it's either all reality TV or DDD & not much else.

Food Networks put on programs which draw viewers which in turn draw advertisers and profit.  T/hey are a for-profit enterprise.  If you want o-cooking demonstrations which focus on technique and food, go to PBS.

I miss the programming Food Network carried years ago, but I lso recognize with the advent of the internet (including YouTube), recipes and cooking demonstrations are availble on literally millions of pages.  These are the resources many people how utilize for learing and researching recipes.  Food Network cannot draw enough people with "basic" shows to draw in significnt ad revenue, so it must focus on its reality shows which are cheap to produce and draw in the most viewers.

We may not like it, but it is what it is.

Trusted Contributor

I think this is one of the worst seasons of food network star. 

I do not care who wins. I would not watch any of their shows. 

Trusted Contributor

I think I am a glutton for punishment. The contestants are so unlikeable. 

The he talking heads were cringe worthy. 

Erin's and Damino's being the worst. And Genards last presentation was downright creepy. 

I always think hunk I have to finish a season when I am this far in. But I think this was the last episode for me. 

Super Contributor

Have been watching it this season, for lack of anything else on in its time slot. As a previous poster mentioned, the winner's program is not on for very long, unlike Guy, who IMO, has worn out his welcome. I think that Giada looks different, or is starting to show her age; and some of the faces that she makes during the show gives me the feeling that she's a sour puss. I also preferred the earlier shows that were on the Food Network, that focused more on cooking technique. It seems now, that if you are a 'star' and can cook, you are worthy of a show on the Food Network. Don't mind some of the contest shows that they have on, such as Chopped and Beat Bobby Flay, but just don't get Cutthroat Kitchen. If any of you are getting discouraged with some of Food Network's programming, check out the PBS station on Saturdays. They have a good variety of more traditional cooking shows on that day.