Honored Contributor

Re: The Little Mermaid - 2023

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I was not going to see this movie anyway, but after hearing this, I am REALLY not going to see it.  Is this true, that there was a slight to Kate Middleton, when the guy was trying to guess her name?

@Puppy Lips - I think so. Here's why:

Disney is known for doing things like this in their movies. And they don't do anything accidentally.

In the original,  Prince Eric guesses Mildred, Diana, and Rachel, before Sebastian whispers "Ariel" in his ear.

In this version he guesses Diana and Catherine. After he says "Catherine" Ariel gives a disgusted look, and he says, "OK, definitely not Catherine." 

Apparently in her interview with Oprah in 2021 (I didn't see this) Meghan Markle compared herself to Ariel, saying how she fell in love with a prince, lost her voice, but in the end got her voice back.

Meghan and Harry's trusted assistant and spokesman Omid Scobie is close friends with Zach Johnson, a senior figure at the Disney company.

Meghan is working with Disney.

So putting two and two together. . . 

Director Rob Marshall has of course denied this.

People are already upset this seems to be upsetting to parents and their daughters named "Catherine."

@beach-mom I had heard that this was in the movie but thought maybe they would think again and change it before the big release.  Guess not.  My son and DIL both work for Disney and are doing very well there.  But I have to say that it is cr@p like this that sours me on the Disney company.  I am sure MM is pleased that this is in the movie, but I hope the moms of all the Catherines and Katherines speak up!

I am glad you enjoyed the movie.  There seems to be so few good ones out there these days.

Makes me think of the whole ridiculous "Karen" slur.  I feel bad for women with the name.  Of course no one will name their child Karen today!

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I was not going to see this movie anyway, but after hearing this, I am REALLY not going to see it.  Is this true, that there was a slight to Kate Middleton, when the guy was trying to guess her name?

@Puppy Lips - I think so. Here's why:

Disney is known for doing things like this in their movies. And they don't do anything accidentally.

In the original,  Prince Eric guesses Mildred, Diana, and Rachel, before Sebastian whispers "Ariel" in his ear.

In this version he guesses Diana and Catherine. After he says "Catherine" Ariel gives a disgusted look, and he says, "OK, definitely not Catherine." 

Apparently in her interview with Oprah in 2021 (I didn't see this) Meghan Markle compared herself to Ariel, saying how she fell in love with a prince, lost her voice, but in the end got her voice back.

Meghan and Harry's trusted assistant and spokesman Omid Scobie is close friends with Zach Johnson, a senior figure at the Disney company.

Meghan is working with Disney.

So putting two and two together. . . 

Director Rob Marshall has of course denied this.

People are already upset this seems to be upsetting to parents and their daughters named "Catherine."

@beach-mom I had heard that this was in the movie but thought maybe they would think again and change it before the big release.  Guess not.  My son and DIL both work for Disney and are doing very well there.  But I have to say that it is cr@p like this that sours me on the Disney company.  I am sure MM is pleased that this is in the movie, but I hope the moms of all the Catherines and Katherines speak up!

I am glad you enjoyed the movie.  There seems to be so few good ones out there these days.

This "stuff" happens in alot in Disney movies, especially recent movies. So I have my opinion whether it was on purpose.

Numerous movies have "hidden messages or images". And lots of articles and video have shown this. Every movie is carefully crafted.

Trusted Contributor

Now I've heard it all.I'm going to watch this just to look for the hidden symbolism aimed at who? And for what?
Don't generally watch Disney movies but this one sounds controversial! Plus Meghan Markle had a slap at her SIL written into the script? That woman has loads of power. Who knew?
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My friend saw it yesterday and she thought it was really good.  I have seen commercials for it and it looks really good to me.  The lady who plays Ariel has a fantastic voice.  It looks charming to me.  Melissa Mccarthy is in it and I love her.  The little Mermaid is my daughter in laws favorite movie and she is looking forward to seeing this one.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Makes me think of the whole ridiculous "Karen" slur.  I feel bad for women with the name.  Of course no one will name their child Karen today!

@haddon9 I have a cousin named Karen.  Unfortunately, she totally represents the stereotype.  She is a know-it-all, butt-in-ski that would definitely ask to see the manager if she had a problem.  She is also lazy who has been living with and sponging off her mother her entire life.  Her daughter, grandaughter and boyfriend also live with and sponge off her mother.  That whole part of the family is a piece of work.

Respected Contributor

Sounds like some are now going to see it just out of spite. Why am I not surprised?

Honored Contributor

@Lakelife62 wrote:
Now I've heard it all.I'm going to watch this just to look for the hidden symbolism aimed at who? And for what?
Don't generally watch Disney movies but this one sounds controversial! Plus Meghan Markle had a slap at her SIL written into the script? That woman has loads of power. Who knew?

This has been going on since the 1970's. In the movie the Rescurers there is a topless lady. Disney had to remove a scene from the original Little Mermaid. And they had to change the original artwork on the VHS tape. The list goes on and on.

Trusted Contributor

My kids grew up on Disney movies. My grandkids did too. If there was a topless lady, they didn't notice. It seems over the last couple of years Disney has become a target of all kinds of wacky conspiracy theories. Ridiculous. I worry more about the violence kids face in their classrooms from crazies with automatic weapons.
Disney is just fine and will come out on top once this weird hysteria fades.
Def making a point to see this movie, although after googling it I can see why theres an automatic rejection of it by some.
Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

My friend saw it yesterday and she thought it was really good.  I have seen commercials for it and it looks really good to me.  The lady who plays Ariel has a fantastic voice.  It looks charming to me.  Melissa Mccarthy is in it and I love her.  The little Mermaid is my daughter in laws favorite movie and she is looking forward to seeing this one.Smiley Happy

@sunshine 919 - Halle Bailey ("Ariel") is 23. She was 18 when filming started (paused because of the pandemic). In this movie Ariel is 18. In the original she was 16. One reason they upped her age is because Ariel at 16 married Prince Eric!

Halle was the first one to audition, and she sang "Part of Your World." A lot of others were hoping for the role, including Maya Hawke, the daughter of Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman. 

Halle is one of the stars of Grown-ish. They had to temporarily write her out of that so she could film this. 

I'm still mad at Melissa for leaving Mike and Molly. I really enjoyed the ensemble cast on that show! 

Honored Contributor

@Lakelife62 wrote:
My kids grew up on Disney movies. My grandkids did too. If there was a topless lady, they didn't notice. It seems over the last couple of years Disney has become a target of all kinds of wacky conspiracy theories. Ridiculous. I worry more about the violence kids face in their classrooms from crazies with automatic weapons.
Disney is just fine and will come out on top once this weird hysteria fades.
Def making a point to see this movie, although after googling it I can see why theres an automatic rejection of it by some.

Where have you been living?  Stocks fell last year and have never recovered...