Honored Contributor

THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW" JOAN BENNETT, EDWARD G. ROBINSON SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN TCM

Midnight Eastern Saturday, (and also Sunday 10:00 a.m. Eastern repeat showing)--   "The Woman in the Window"  Edward G. Robinson, Joan Bennett, Dan Duryea, Raymond Massey.

One of the great film noirs.  (And disclosure, I've only seen snippets of it!). Edward G. Robinson does a terrific turn as a lonely, middle-aged man drawn into a vortex of melodrama and mayhem, after gazing at a beautiful woman's (Joan Bennett's) portrait in a shop window...

First of all, it's one of my all-time favorite directors, Fritz Lang  ("The Big Heat", "Human Desire", "While the City Sleeps", "Rancho Notorious" and on and on.).  Secondly, I LOVE the four principals, Joan Bennett, Edward G. Robinson, Dan Duryea, Raymond Massey.  Very disparate, talented performers, all basketed in one memorable film noir!

The one thing that keeps me from watching even a great suspense film all the way through, is if it seems to be heading in too bleak and tragic a direction.  But have found out belatedly that that needn't necessarily be a concern with this one.  (Can't say more without giving too much away!)

Can't wait to hear Eddie Muller's discourse on this one.

The TCM trailers won't work for me now, for some reason.  Here's a youtube one, and I have no idea why it's been colorized:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQN_cd1zVoc

Added bonus-- if you can't watch either of the two film showings on TCM, the movie streams live here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3MY1Q6zijA

Honored Contributor

Re: THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW" JOAN BENNETT, EDWARD G. ROBINSON SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN TCM

SketchbookAxe: YouTube, another channel showing this fabulous movie. 

@Oznell 

We are so very fortunate having this masterpiece available. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW" JOAN BENNETT, EDWARD G. ROBINSON SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN TCM

I love this one.  Saw it first when it showed on television in the fifties when I was a little girl.  I still love it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK - I think I need help here.

I remember a movie with Edward G. Robinson, Joan Bennett and Dan Duryea. But I don't think that was that title. And Edward G. Robinson's name, in the movie I am thinking of, was Chris. 

Guess I will have to watch and find out.

PS - The movie I was thinking of was called Scarlett Street. It also was Directed by Fritz Lang. And was made a year after The Women in the Window.

Honored Contributor

Didn't know "Robert Blake" plays EGR Son.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla

Scarlett Street is a goodie that is rarely shown on tv.icon_exclaim.gif I get the 2 movies mixed up also as Dan Duryea plays the exact same character in both movies. Smiley LOL

Love me some Dan Duryea who plays the swarmy no good for nothing man to the hilt!

@Oznell"Edward G. Robinson does a terrific turn as a lonely, MARRIED middle-aged man"

I corrected it for ya! Smiley Wink

One of my favorite EGR movies next to Little Caesar which is rarely shown.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Can't find it. I'm EST. Just got TCM; I'm taping "Ghandi" right now.

Honored Contributor

EVERYBODY gets confused by the parallels/duplicate cast members in "TWITW" and "Scarlett Street", ha.

Fritz Lang seemed to have favorite performers and lots to say and explore in his films-- things seem to overlap with him.  Makes his work so interesting...

@lavendar, I'm concerned you'll miss recording it.  If you are on Eastern Standard time, it should be showing up in your guide as airing at midnight tonight and 10:00 a.m. Sunday.

Do check again and hoping you find it...

Respected Contributor

Found it. Did a search for it and set to record. It's on tomorrow from 12 to 2. Love old movies. I have no idea how I got TCM. Think Comcast made a mistake.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lavendar wrote:

Found it. Did a search for it and set to record. It's on tomorrow from 12 to 2. Love old movies. I have no idea how I got TCM. Think Comcast made a mistake.

Sorry, my mistake on timing.  Message deleted.  Posted in error.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.